Arsenal loanee Okonkwo makes big statement about his future after impressive debut for Sturm GrazPublished: February 06, 2023
Arsenal-owned Nigerian goalkeeper Arthur Okonkwo issued a big statement on his future moments after starring on his competitive debut for Sturm Graz in their 5-4 win on penalties against Red Bull Salzburg on Friday.
Okonkwo was the hero for Sturm Graz as he saved a penalty to knock out Noah Okafor and Junior Adamu's Red Bull Salzburg from the UNIQA ÖFB Cup.
Red Bull Salzburg's equalizer in the 77th minute that took the game to extra time was as a result of his mistake and it was the only blot to his copy book, allowing a shot from long range slip through his hands and into the net.
The 21-year-old attempted to catch the ball instead of pushing it away to safety. but redeemed himself in the shootout, making a strong save to deny Maurits Kjaergaard.
Okonkwo is on loan at Sturm Graz until the end of the season without an option to buy but the Austrian Bundeslga side have started talks with Arsenal over the extension of the loan agreement.
When asked if he's continuing with Sturm Graz beyond the summer, Okonkwo told Laola1 :"I'm not sure at the moment. I'll wait until the season is over, try to win more games with this team and then we'll see what happens in the summer."
The current Sturm Graz first choice goalkeeper sees himself returning to England in the long term.
"One day I want to become Arsenal's No.1," he said.in a recent interview with Goal.com.
Hale End Academy graduate Okonkwo spent the first half of the season on loan at Crewe Alexandra, keeping ten clean sheets in 26 matches in all competitions for the League Two club.
Photo Credit : arsenal.com
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- Transfer guru reveals why Man Utd are pushing to sign Osimhen, price tag could increase
- 'Hopefully I can convince him' - England U21 boss to hold talks with Arsenal loanee Balogun
- Super Eagles invitee Aniagboso reveals Chelsea are one of his dream clubs; hails Omeruo, Uzoho
- Huddersfield LB still eligible for Nigeria after being unused sub for Equatorial Guinea in AFCONQ
- U23 AFCONQ fallout: NFF responsible for the failure of Olympic Eagles
- Osimhen's potential replacement : Royale Union Saint-Gilloise's Boniface should reject Napoli
- 'Just a pitch with grass' - Iwobi urges NFF to provide infrastructure to match Super Eagles ability
- 'Kane's not going on forever' - Arsenal legend Wright backs Balogun for England call-up
- Hungry Fenerbahce fullback Osayi-Samuel is Super Eagles' new shining light
- Former Chelsea defender reacts after becoming 16th most capped Super Eagles player
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Nigeria Betting Sites
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football