Super Eagles-eligible player helps Chelsea break 113-year-old club record after PL debutPublished: February 06, 2023
Chelsea have confirmed through their official website that the 2022-2023 campaign has set a new all-time club record, which had stood since way back in 1909, after Enzo Fernandez and Noni Madueke made their Premier League debuts in the goalless draw with Fulham on Friday, February 3.
Madueke became the sixteenth player to make his debut for Chelsea's first team this season when he replaced another winter signing Mykhaylo Mudryk at halftime.
The England U21 international of Nigerian descent joined Chelsea in a permanent transfer from PSV Eindhoven on January 20 but his registration was not completed on time for him to be eligible to face Liverpool at Anfield the following day.
Excluding the statistical anomaly of the 1905-1906 season, the highest number of Blues debuts in a single season had been 15, which was achieved in the 1909-10 and 2017-18 seasons.
After Madueke's first appearance in a Chelsea shirt, the club record that stood for 113 years was surpassed.
The 20-year-old started his Chelsea career in a fantastic way as he showed flashes of quality and a lot of skill on the ball.
Carney Chukwuemeka, a summer arrival from Aston Villa, has totaled nine appearances for Chelsea's first team since making his debut against Wolverhampton Wanderers on October 8, 2022.
Chelsea's other debutants this season are Benoit Badiashile, Joao Felix, David Fofana, Bashir Humphreys, Omari Hutchinson, Denis Zakaria, Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang, Wesley Fofana, Kalidou Koulibaly, Raheem Sterling, Marc Cucurella and Conor Gallagher.
Photo Credit : chelseafc.com
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- Transfer guru reveals why Man Utd are pushing to sign Osimhen, price tag could increase
- 'Hopefully I can convince him' - England U21 boss to hold talks with Arsenal loanee Balogun
- Super Eagles invitee Aniagboso reveals Chelsea are one of his dream clubs; hails Omeruo, Uzoho
- Huddersfield LB still eligible for Nigeria after being unused sub for Equatorial Guinea in AFCONQ
- U23 AFCONQ fallout: NFF responsible for the failure of Olympic Eagles
- Osimhen's potential replacement : Royale Union Saint-Gilloise's Boniface should reject Napoli
- 'Just a pitch with grass' - Iwobi urges NFF to provide infrastructure to match Super Eagles ability
- 'Kane's not going on forever' - Arsenal legend Wright backs Balogun for England call-up
- Hungry Fenerbahce fullback Osayi-Samuel is Super Eagles' new shining light
- Former Chelsea defender reacts after becoming 16th most capped Super Eagles player
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Nigeria Betting Sites
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football