'Don't be stupid' - Newcastle hero does not want to be compared with Napoli striker OsimhenPublished: February 10, 2023
Newcastle United hero Faustino Asprilla has stressed that he should not be compared with Napoli striker Victor Osimhen.
The Nigeria international has often been likened to Asprilla due to his playing style and he also possesses some of the attributes of the Colombian.
Asprilla first made his name with Italian Serie A club Parma, for whom he scored 43 goals in 150 all-competition appearances in two different spells, before sealing a transfer to Newcastle United
The two-time World Cupper has made it clear that it doesn't make sense comparing him with Osimhen because he faced legendary central defenders such as Franco Baresi and Paolo Maldini during his time in Italy.
Asprilla is impressed by the leading marksman in Italy, Osimhen, but suggested that it's easier to score goals now in the Serie A.
"Napoli are a team that I like and Osimhen is really talented. Is he better than me? Don’t be stupid," Asprilla said to La Gazzetta dello Sport, via Football Italia.
"I played in Serie A when there was Van Basten, Gullit, Baresi, Maldini, Del Piero, Roberto Baggio… To score a goal, I had to get past the likes of Baresi, Costacurta and Vierchowod.
"There’s no comparison between the football I played in and nowadays"
Osimhen was named Serie A Player of the Month for January 2023 after netting five goals in five matches.
The 24-year-old beat off competition from Paulo Dybala (Roma), Lautaro Martinez (Inter), Ademola Lookman (Atalanta) and Luis Alberto (Lazio) to win the award.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- Napoli coach Walter Mazzarri reveals exactly why Osimhen did not start 4-2 defeat to Real Madrid
- 'He has clearly shown that he is of value' - Ajax coach satisfied with performance of Akpom
- Babayaro's Nigerian record is safe: 16yo midfielder Nwaneri named in Arsenal's matchday squad v Lens
- Official: Nigeria-eligible winger signs new long-term contract with Brentford
- Gianfranco Zola insists Osimhen would be perfect for Real Madrid amid Napoli striker's links with Chelsea
- The truth about Hull City's links with Super Eagles midfielder Fisayo Dele-Bashiru
- Why Super Eagles left-back Jamilu Collins was omitted from Cardiff City's gameday squad v West Brom
- 'Nothing strange' - Peter Rufai expects Super Eagles to correct their flaws ahead of resumption of WCQ
- Richard Olise, once touted as 'Reece James heir', returns to action for Chelsea after more than 21 months out
- APOEL Nicosia chief scout in Lagos for 20-team scouting programme
- Football Betting
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football