Four observations from Chukwueze's performance against BarcelonaPublished: February 12, 2023
Super Eagles winger, Samuel Chukwueze came off the subs bench in place of injured Francis Coquelin in Villarreal's 1-0 home defeat at the Estadio de la Ceramica on Sunday night.
All Nigeria Soccer here presents the observations from the game which extends Barcelona's lead at the top of the table over Real Madrid.
1. Pressure on Barcelona Defence
The Nigerian international immediately made an impact as he put the Barcelona defenders on the back foot.
That created a goal-scoring opportunity for Villarreal when Ronald Araujo handled the ball around the edge of the 18-yard box and was shown the yellow card by the referee.
By the way, Araujo will miss Barcelona's next game following the booking.
2. Injury Scare For Chukwueze
Barely five minutes after coming on, Chukwueze was seen clutching his thighs which was not a pleasant sight for manager Quique Setién.
The Super Eagles star might have copped a minor issue albeit thankfully he was able to continue and was not subbed off.
3. Chukwueze In Midfield
Chukwueze came into midfield a couple of times and created chances for his attacking teammates.
It was a bit surprising to see him as the last outfield player when Villarreal went for a corner - just on front of goalkeeper Pepe Reina.
4. Chukwueze operating at both sides of the wings
The Nigerian was seen at both flanks. He's primarily deployed on the right side of the attack and cuts infield with his dominant left foot.
However after Araujo picked up a yellow card, Chukwueze drifted to the opposite flank and that dynamism is a welcome development.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- WAFCONQ: Five observations from Super Falcons come-from-behind win against Cape Verde
- WAFCONQ Cape Verde 1 Nigeria 2: Super-sub Okoronkwo, Ajibade on target in come-from-behind win
- Bayer Leverkusen coach hints at strike partner for 'strong and technically excellent' Boniface
- 10 players including 3 invited to Nigeria national teams in the past in the running for Crystal Palace GOTM
- The top-rated Nigerian players in the Premier Leagues of Europe
- 'We know he's a very good player' - West Brom boss explains why Super Eagles striker is not starting games
- Houston Dynamo decline contract option for two Nigerian-born players; ex-Flying Eagles star Aliyu retained
- Dapo Afolayan: Exciting winger who learned his trade at Chelsea commits international future to Nigeria
- 'If they are called up, they will go' - Bayer chief confirms Boniface and Tella will be released to NFF for AFCON
- AFCON 2023: Should Rangers defender Leon Balogun be recalled to the national team?
- Football Betting
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football