Does Osimhen need new surgery? Surgeon who operated on Napoli star sets the record straightPublished: February 28, 2023
Professor Gianpaolo Tartaro, the surgeon that operated on Nigerian international Victor Osimhen, has revealed that the 24-year-old striker was lucky he didn't lose his eyesight following a head collision he had with an opponent back in November 2021.
It would be recalled that Osimhen suffered multiple facial fractures after colliding with Inter Milan defender Milan Skriniar at San Siro.
Osimhen was operated on placing six plaques and 18 screws into his face to repair the damage which were multiple fractures to the cheekbone and orbital bone.
The Serie A leading goal scorer was ruled out of action for eight weeks and was forced to withdraw from the Nigeria squad to the 2021 AFCON in Cameroon.
“The orbital bone stopped just in time, because Osimhen could even have lost his sight,” Professor Tartaro told Radio CRC, via Pazzi Da Fanta.
“That bone could indeed have caused other problems, but fortunately some factors helped us and the eye was able to go back into its socket.”
It was suggested that Osimhen would need a fresh surgery to remove the six plaques and 18 screws in future, but the professor who performed the operation assures that it may not be necessary.
“The plaques do not need to be removed unless there is an urgent need, for example they develop an infection. The titanium could alter an X-Ray, but I don’t think Osimhen wants them removed.
“When we performed the surgery, we used the best quality plaques in the world and had to study very carefully where to place them, so there was protection should the player have to head the ball," he explained.
However, the surgeon has assured that the player has nothing to worry about as Napoli chase their first title since 1990.
“He seems to play even better than he did before, it gives him security. He has become world class,"'he added.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- U23 AFCONQ Nigeria 0 Guinea 0 : Olympic Eagles walk tightrope after stalemate in Abuja
- After equaling Yakubu's record, Akpom could set new Middlesbrough record on Good Friday
- Dual national Gent goal machine Orban commits future to Nigeria over Togo
- Everton face a relegation battle again: Where has it gone wrong?
- Super Eagles camp update : All present and correct as Porto LB reports for international duty
- Arsenal's Super Eagles-eligible striker Balogun pulls out of England U21 squad
- How to find low deposit casinos for Nigerian players
- Eagles tactical session : Emphasis on crosses; Peserio experiments with Omeruo, Ajayi; Uzoho gets nod
- More drama Tuesday's training session as Super Eagles' CSO 'fights' with Nigerian journalists
- Parimatch : So much more than soccer
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Nigeria Betting Sites
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football