Arsenal-owned Super Eagles-eligible striker pays tribute to African-born France legend FontainePublished: March 01, 2023
Arsenal-owned Super Eagles-eligible striker Folarin Balogun has paid tribute to Just Fontaine following his death on the night of Tuesday February 28 to Wednesday March 1 in Toulouse, at the age of 89.
Born on August 18, 1933 in Marrakech (Morocco), Fontaine represented USM Casablanca before he was recruited by OGC Nice, where he quickly established a reputation as one of the most prolific strikers in the world.
After winning the Championship with OGC Nice in 1956, he transferred to Balogun's current club Stade de Reims, with whom he won the French topflight title three times and the Coupe de France, and played in the final of the 1959 European Cup.
Fontaine holds the record for the most goals in a single World Cup tournament, 13 in 1958, and that same year he finished with 18 goals for the French national team which is a one-year record.
The African-born striker netted in all the matches he played in at the 1958 World Cup in Sweden : four goals against West Germany, a hat-trick against Paraguay, braces against Yugoslavia and Northern Ireland, and one each against Scotland and Brazil
He scored 164 goals in 200 national league matches, including 152 in 145 appearances for Stade de Reims.
"Légende du football français (French football legend)," Balogun wrote in French on Twitter, and the tweet was accompanied by a picture of Just Fontaine.
Balogun has mustered 16 goals in 26 outings for Stade de Reims since joining the club on a season-long loan from Arsenal last summer.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- 'Martial is a waste of space' - Ex-Chelsea star urges Man Utd to sign Boniface when 25 percent stake is sold
- Flying Eagles-eligible player among young talents called up to train with Arsenal first team pre-Aston Villa
- To start or not to start against Liverpool? Crystal Palace manager to make late decision on Olise
- Pictured: Man Utd coach promotes two teenagers of Nigerian descent to first team training pre-Bournemouth
- Super Eagles GK crisis: Peseiro lands in South Africa to run the rule over Chippa United star
- Iwobi joins Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool stars in Premier League TOTW for gameweek 15
- 'I don’t have answers to' - Saudi PL chief Emenalo admits he doesn't know why Messi ended up in MLS
- 'Don't focus on the mistakes' - Arsenal Invincible Gilberto Silva gives advice to Nwaneri
- 2023 Flying Eagles invitee battles Tottenham and Man Utd starlets, 5 others for PL2 Player of the Month
- 'Back like I never left' - Fulham centre-back Tosin happy to make first PL start since May 2023
- Football Betting
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football