Akpom named in EFL TOTW, only Haaland has more goals than Boro striker England's top 4 tiersPublished: March 06, 2023
Super Eagles-eligible striker Chuba Akpom has been named in the English Football League Team of the Week after another outstanding display for Championship promotion hopefuls Middlesbrough in the last round of matches in the division.
The Hale End Academy product inspired Boro to thrash Reading 5-0 at the Riverside Stadium on Saturday, bagging a brace to take his tally for the season to 21 goals in the league.
When Akpom opened the scoring from the spot, he became the first Middlesbrough player to score 20-plus league goals in a single season since Bernie Slaven in the 1989-1990 season.
The 27-year-old powered a shot into the back of the net to make it 3-0 two minutes into the second half.
According to the official website of the EFL, only Manchester City goal machine Erling Haaland (27) has scored more goals than Akpom (21) in the top four tiers of English football this season.
Against the Royals, Akpom scored two or more goals for the fifth time this season, more than any other player in the Championship.
In a 3-5-2 formation, Akpom has been deployed as an attacking midfielder in the EFL Team of the Week.
He registered a joint game high three shots with two on target, completed a joint game high two dribbles, and was the most fouled player on the pitch (5).
The Boro number 29 made one tackle and was accurate in 96.2 percent of his passes.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- Super Eagles midfielder Aribo reveals why he's not getting game time at Southampton
- 'Maybe in the future it will happen' - Chukwueze responds to Arsenal and Aston Villa links
- Official : Major League Soccer club Real Salt Lake sign versatile American-Nigerian player
- Peseiro raises concern over Akpoguma's head injury, gives Egyptian referee a piece of his mind
- Iwobi on Super Eagles' missed scoring chances, next game; refuses to comment on state of pitch
- Peseiro responds to question on pairing Onuachu, Osimhen in attack and snubbing Moffi
- Peseiro reveals what went wrong in Super Eagles' loss, gives defiant response to sack claims
- Charlton U21 boss reacts to performance of Nigerian midfielder against Chelsea's Kante
- Super Eagles player ratings : Akpoguma, Bassey at sixes and sevens; Osayi-Samuel stands out; Osimhen poor
- 2023 AFCONQ : Five observations from Super Eagles' 1-0 loss to Guinea-Bissau
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Nigeria Betting Sites
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football