Is Bruno Fernandes a perfect captain for Manchester United?Published: March 07, 2023
Bruno Fernandes has created more chances from open play (60) than any other player in the Premier League this season but the question on the lips of most Manchester United supporters is: should he keep the captain's armband?
There is this known belief in football that captains are not just leaders on football pitches but in attitude as well as alluded to by Chris Sutton following the awful in-game performance and unprofessional conduct of Fernandes in United’s 7-0 mauling in the hands of Liverpool on Sunday evening.
Most United fans and neutrals, including the ardent betting faithful, who play casino games on Bitcon live roulette, would never have considered the Red Devils as likely to lose so embarrassingly after their recent Carabao Cup triumph.
However that was what the football world including those who know how best to play their casino games witnessed at Anfield in unarguably the Premier League’s biggest fixture on March 5.
In the course of the one-sided contest, Fernandes shoved the assistant referee on the byline when a decision did not go his way.
Luckily for the Portuguese, he was not booked for that incident after referee Andy Madley spotted the incident in real time and had not included it in his match report.
Most critics have likened Fernandes' latest misdemeanor as similar to the 1998 incident in the Premier League when the maverick Paolo Di Canio pushed referee Paul Alcock that earned him an 11-match ban.
Fernandes also seemingly gestured to the United bench that he would like to come off when United conceded the sixth goal albeit that has been debunked by the manager, Erik ten Hag.
The former Ajax manager called the performance of his players 'disgraceful' but reiterated that they have to move in from the defeat fast as they head into Thursday's UEFA Europa League clash against a very good Real Betis side.
In comparison to Fernandes' tantrums, when Arsenal were 2-0 down before restoring parity, the skipper Martin Ødegaard rallied his teammates, encouraging them to keep pushing on.
The place of the captain is a very sensitive and important one in a club. The captain is the bridge between the club/fans and the players.
Fernandes threw up a strop when things didn't go his way and player power is something that football authorities once again should be keen to limit if not end.
Manchester City, Chelsea, and Arsenal mentioned earlier are some of the Premier League clubs with captains with impeccable leadership qualities.
Fernandes is a brilliant player on his day but discipline, passion and dedication must accompany that footballing brain.
The midfielder is very important to United as they seek to reclaim their pride of place in English and European football.
His overall behavior must conform with the vision of Erik ten Hag who is on the march towards making United the very dreaded team like the coaching days of Sir Alex Ferguson.
Photo Credit : manutd.com
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- Confirmed team news: Three Super Eagles-eligible players ruled out of Manchester United v Chelsea
- 2015 Golden Eaglets invitee among three Gabriels on target as Arsenal edge seven-goal thriller at Luton
- WAFCONQ: Five observations from Super Falcons come-from-behind win against Cape Verde
- WAFCONQ Cape Verde 1 Nigeria 2: Super-sub Okoronkwo, Ajibade on target in come-from-behind win
- Bayer Leverkusen coach hints at strike partner for 'strong and technically excellent' Boniface
- 10 players including 3 invited to Nigeria national teams in the past in the running for Crystal Palace GOTM
- The top-rated Nigerian players in the Premier Leagues of Europe
- 'We know he's a very good player' - West Brom boss explains why Super Eagles striker is not starting games
- Houston Dynamo decline contract option for two Nigerian-born players; ex-Flying Eagles star Aliyu retained
- Dapo Afolayan: Exciting winger who learned his trade at Chelsea commits international future to Nigeria
- Football Betting
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football