Southampton need Onuachu's goals and Selles must trust Super Eagles striker to deliverPublished: March 16, 2023
Super Eagles and Southampton forward Paul Onuachu is having a slow start to his Premier League career and the fact that he is yet to score a goal explains that.
He has only played 29 minutes of football in the last 3 games for Southampton.
Saints manager Ruben Selles has preferred the Scottish striker, Che Adams, in his stead.
Southampton currently sit 20th in the Premier League table and are the joint lowest goalscorers in the league with 20 goals and have scored just 2 goals in their last 5 games.
Their struggles in front of goal prompted the signing of Onuachu from Genk in January. So why is he not being trusted?
Onuachu has started three games for Southampton in the Premier League and that is not enough to judge a player who just came into the league.
The Nigerian international is the best striker in the Saints squad and Rubén Sellés must find a way to get the best out of him.
He is a proven goalscorer, albeit not in the Premier League. Onuachu scored 74 goals in 181 appearances for FC Midtjylland and bagged 85 goals in 134 appearances for Genk.
Adams has led the line for Southampton in the past two games but he is not a reliable striker.
He is yet to score for the relegation strugglers since a 3-1 loss to Liverpool in November. Relying on him for goals is suicidal.
The way forward is for Selles to partner Adams with Onuachu. This would help add more bite and threats to a harmless attack.
The Saints have been defensively resolute under Reuben Selles but that is not enough to escape relegation and the 2-0 loss to Brentford at St Mary's stadium is proof of that.
If Southampton are to escape relegation, Onuachu has a role to play and Selles must find a way to integrate him back into the team.
Photo Credit : southamptonfc.com
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- U23 AFCONQ Nigeria 0 Guinea 0 : Olympic Eagles walk tightrope after stalemate in Abuja
- After equaling Yakubu's record, Akpom could set new Middlesbrough record on Good Friday
- Dual national Gent goal machine Orban commits future to Nigeria over Togo
- Everton face a relegation battle again: Where has it gone wrong?
- Super Eagles camp update : All present and correct as Porto LB reports for international duty
- Arsenal's Super Eagles-eligible striker Balogun pulls out of England U21 squad
- How to find low deposit casinos for Nigerian players
- Eagles tactical session : Emphasis on crosses; Peserio experiments with Omeruo, Ajayi; Uzoho gets nod
- More drama Tuesday's training session as Super Eagles' CSO 'fights' with Nigerian journalists
- Parimatch : So much more than soccer
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Nigeria Betting Sites
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football