Super Eagles AFCONQ roster : Peseiro was forced by NFF to name Aniagboso, Bameyi, SochimaPublished: March 18, 2023
Super Eagles coach Jose Peseiro was reportedly forced by the Nigeria Football Federation to include three home-based players on the roster for the Africa Cup of Nations qualifying matches against Guinea-Bissau.
According to ESPN's Colin Udoh, the Portuguese football tactician is now under direction to invite no more than twenty players from Europe, and the remainder must come from the domestic league.
As a result of the instruction from the Nigerian Federation, Peseiro selected Victor Sochima (Rivers United), Kingsley Aniagboso (Giant Brillars), and Flying Eagles captain Daniel Bameyi (YumYum FC) on the Super Eagles roster.
Maduka Okoye and Adebayo Adeleye missed out on the squad list due to the invitation of the two home-based goalkeepers, while Boavista loanee Chidozie Awaziem wasn't considered as well.
The Nigeria Football Federation are cutting costs due to concerns about their finances.
"We cannot afford to invite so many players from Europe any more because we need to be very judicious in our use of the limited funds we have," a senior member of the NFF board member told ESPN.
"Peseiro can call as many players as he wants, but only 20 can come from abroad. If he needs any more, he should get them from the local league.
"The president wants to make sure that the local league players are recognized in the Super Eagles, and this will be one way to help strengthen the league and make it more attractive."
Three-time African champions Nigeria will take on Guinea-Bissau at the National Stadium in Abuja on March 24, while the second leg will be played at the Estádio 24 de Setembro, Bissau on March 27.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- Transfer guru reveals why Man Utd are pushing to sign Osimhen, price tag could increase
- 'Hopefully I can convince him' - England U21 boss to hold talks with Arsenal loanee Balogun
- Super Eagles invitee Aniagboso reveals Chelsea are one of his dream clubs; hails Omeruo, Uzoho
- Huddersfield LB still eligible for Nigeria after being unused sub for Equatorial Guinea in AFCONQ
- U23 AFCONQ fallout: NFF responsible for the failure of Olympic Eagles
- Osimhen's potential replacement : Royale Union Saint-Gilloise's Boniface should reject Napoli
- 'Just a pitch with grass' - Iwobi urges NFF to provide infrastructure to match Super Eagles ability
- 'Kane's not going on forever' - Arsenal legend Wright backs Balogun for England call-up
- Hungry Fenerbahce fullback Osayi-Samuel is Super Eagles' new shining light
- Former Chelsea defender reacts after becoming 16th most capped Super Eagles player
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Nigeria Betting Sites
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football