Super Eagles AFCONQ roster : Peseiro was forced by NFF to name Aniagboso, Bameyi, SochimaPublished: March 18, 2023
Super Eagles coach Jose Peseiro was reportedly forced by the Nigeria Football Federation to include three home-based players on the roster for the Africa Cup of Nations qualifying matches against Guinea-Bissau.
According to ESPN's Colin Udoh, the Portuguese football tactician is now under direction to invite no more than twenty players from Europe, and the remainder must come from the domestic league.
As a result of the instruction from the Nigerian Federation, Peseiro selected Victor Sochima (Rivers United), Kingsley Aniagboso (Giant Brillars), and Flying Eagles captain Daniel Bameyi (YumYum FC) on the Super Eagles roster.
Maduka Okoye and Adebayo Adeleye missed out on the squad list due to the invitation of the two home-based goalkeepers, while Boavista loanee Chidozie Awaziem wasn't considered as well.
The Nigeria Football Federation are cutting costs due to concerns about their finances.
"We cannot afford to invite so many players from Europe any more because we need to be very judicious in our use of the limited funds we have," a senior member of the NFF board member told ESPN.
"Peseiro can call as many players as he wants, but only 20 can come from abroad. If he needs any more, he should get them from the local league.
"The president wants to make sure that the local league players are recognized in the Super Eagles, and this will be one way to help strengthen the league and make it more attractive."
Three-time African champions Nigeria will take on Guinea-Bissau at the National Stadium in Abuja on March 24, while the second leg will be played at the Estádio 24 de Setembro, Bissau on March 27.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- Victor Osimhen alternative: Bayer Leverkusen to demand at least N70b from Chelsea for Super Eagles striker
- Who is Gabrielle Onguene? The free-scoring Cameroon striker that can pose a threat to Super Falcons
- Paris 2024 Olympics qualifiers: Keep an eye on these three Super Falcons players against Cameroon
- Justin Njinmah: Werder Bremen's exciting forward to choose between Nigeria and Germany
- Battle for La Liga U23 POTM: Omorodion faces competition from Man Utd loanee, Barca and Real Madrid stars
- Age debate reignited: Flying Eagles coach Bosso justifies selection of academy boys over NPFL stars
- South Africa GK Williams opens up on what he told Omeruo, Aina, Ekong, Iheanacho before taking spot-kicks
- Porto team news: The likely player to replace Zaidu in starting lineup against Arsenal
- Onyeka credits AFCON for boosting his fitness; shares what Brentford boss told him pre-Man City
- 'Difficult to stop' - Barcelona coach Xavi highlights Osimhen as one of the key players to watch in CL showdown
- Football Betting
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football