Iwobi helps Everton earn precious point against Chelsea, Chukwuemeka comes off benchPublished: March 18, 2023
Super Eagles midfielder Alex Iwobi started his 28th league game for Everton as they played a 2-2 draw with Chelsea at Stamford Bridge on Saturday evening.
Nigeria-eligible duo Carney Chukwuemeka and Noni Madueke were included in Chelsea's matchday squad, but started on the bench.
Joao Felix gave Chelsea the lead in the 52nd minute from a left-footed shot before Abdoulaye Doucoure got the equaliser for the Toffees at minute 69.
German forward, Kai Havertz restored Chelsea's lead in the 76th minute from the penalty spot after Reece James was brought down by Tarkowski.
With a minute to go, Ellis Simms drove into the box and drilled the ball under Kepa Arizzabalaga for an Everton equalizer.
Iwobi was influential in keeping Chelsea at bay in the first half with his defensive work rate.
His first offensive action came in the 49th minute when his right-footed shot from outside the box was saved by Kepa .
Conversely, Chukwuemeka came on as an 86th substitute for Joao Felix but had little or no impact.
His Chelsea counterpart, Noni Madueke was an unused sub and has played only six minutes of football in the past four games.
The result leaves Everton in the 17th spot with 26 points garnered, two points above the relegation zone.
Chelsea couldn't make it three consecutive victories and they are rooted 10th in the standings with 38 points from 27 games.
Photo Credit : chelseafc.com
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- Official: 2019 Fifa U17 World Cup star Amoo terminates his contract with Omonia Nicosia
- Former Chelsea defender reckons Tottenham star Udogie is Premier League's best left-back
- 'Slightly ahead' - 2006 World Cup winner rates Osimhen higher than Vlahovic in defensive phase
- 'It's almost unstoppabe' - 1994 AFCON winner Ekoku hails Eze for fantastic free-kick goal against Tottenham
- 'Wasn't meant to be sub'- Wolves coach explains why 15yo son of ex-Super Eagles star was named in squad
- Who is Tyrique George? The dual national winger who could be Chelsea's next breakout sensation
- Super Eagles star Aribo labelled 'brilliant player' by Southampton boss after injury-time winner
- Made in Africa goal: Wissa highlights Onyeka's role in acrobatic finish against Chelsea
- Arsenal-owned goalkeeper Arthur Okonkwo hits double figures for clean sheets in EFL
- 'Mac Allister is quality' - Ex-Man City defender Onuoha praises Liverpool midfielder for game-winning assist
- Football Betting
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football