'Reminds me a bit of Papin' - Belgium legend Franky Van der Elst on what makes Orban so goodPublished: March 19, 2023
Belgium legend Franky Van der Elst has likened KAA Gent marksman Gift Orban to France and Marseille icon Jean-Pierre Papin, who won the Ballon d'Or in 1991.
Orban's start at KAA Gent has been sensational and he's making history at the Belgian Pro League club, having mustered an incredible 12 goals in just nine matches, less than two months after his move from Stabæk Fotball in Norway.
The 20-year-old scored the fastest hat-trick in the history of all European competitions in the Conference League match against Istanbul Basaksehir in just three minutes and 25 seconds on March 15.
Last weekend, he became the first player from Gent to score four goals in a single Pro League game this century as the Buffalos hammered Zulte Waregem 6-2.
Orban will have the chance to showcase his qualities to Premier League clubs when Gent take on West Ham United in the quarterfinals of the Europa Conference League next month.
On what makes Orban so good, Franky Van der Elst told Het Nieuwsblad : "It's a no-brainer, which acts extremely fast in and around 16.
"His second goal against Basaksehir was nice of course, but I also thought the first one was fantastic.
"He stands still and gets that ball pushed into his foot. It's half under you, isn't it? But then it's: control left and kick left. Crook-crook. That goes so fast.
"He only needs few ball contacts to score. I don't mean that he doesn't appear much in the game, but how he finishes: always one time, two times max.
"At Zulte Waregem he finished all his four goals in one time, with right and left. He reminds me a bit of Papin. He also had that direct and selfishness."
Orban is one of the sixteen foreign-based players named to the Olympic Eagles roster for the 2023 U23 Africa Cup of Nations qualifying matches with Guinea.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- 'Martial is a waste of space' - Ex-Chelsea star urges Man Utd to sign Boniface when 25 percent stake is sold
- Flying Eagles-eligible player among young talents called up to train with Arsenal first team pre-Aston Villa
- To start or not to start against Liverpool? Crystal Palace manager to make late decision on Olise
- Pictured: Man Utd coach promotes two teenagers of Nigerian descent to first team training pre-Bournemouth
- Super Eagles GK crisis: Peseiro lands in South Africa to run the rule over Chippa United star
- Iwobi joins Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool stars in Premier League TOTW for gameweek 15
- 'I don’t have answers to' - Saudi PL chief Emenalo admits he doesn't know why Messi ended up in MLS
- 'Don't focus on the mistakes' - Arsenal Invincible Gilberto Silva gives advice to Nwaneri
- 2023 Flying Eagles invitee battles Tottenham and Man Utd starlets, 5 others for PL2 Player of the Month
- 'Back like I never left' - Fulham centre-back Tosin happy to make first PL start since May 2023
- Football Betting
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football