U23 AFCONQ Nigeria 0 Guinea 0 : Olympic Eagles walk tightrope after stalemate in AbujaPublished: March 22, 2023
Nigeria's dreams of making an appearance at the Football event of the Paris 2024 Olympic Games took a massive hit on Wednesday at the MKO Abiola Stadium, Abuja as the country's U-23 national team were held to a goalless draw by Guinea in the final rounds of qualifiers to the CAF U-23 Africa Cup of Nations in Morocco.
The Olympic Eagles were champions in 2015 and have never missed an edition of the continental championship albeit they missed the ticket to the 2020 Olympics.
The 1996 Olympics champions are coached by Salisu Yusuf who was in charge of the home-based Super Eagles side that failed to qualify for the Africa Nations Championship.
The first half ended on a scoreless note with the U23 Eagles not able to convert the chances that came their way with the defence of Guinea repelling the Eagles.
The Guineans were disciplined in possession but failed to create clear cut scoring chances for themselves barring a late effort saved by goalkeeper Nathaniel Idowu.
The captain of the Eagles, Success Makanjuola and Ifeanyi Ogba were the closest to get on the scoresheet for Nigeria but both were stopped by an equally excellent Guinea goalkeeper.
The return leg of the fixtures holds on March 28 with the winner over two legs qualifying for the CAF U-23 AFCON.
Three African teams will represent the continent at the football event of the 2024 Olympics.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- Nigeria squad announcement: Arsenal, Man City, Spurs youth products called up for AFCONQ
- L'Equipe indicates Super Eagles vice-captain is surplus to requirements at Nantes
- Victor Boniface yet to start negotiations with any team amid Eintracht Frankfurt, Leipzig links
- 'Many lies were told' - Italian pundit claims Osimhen was not sincere about his Napoli future
- Brentford, Leicester stars named in Super Eagles expanded squad for 2023 AFCONQ
- Central defender of African descent returns to Chelsea
- Opposition watch: Canada include Arsenal, Chelsea, Man Utd stars in provisional WWC squad
- Super Eagles striker linked with departure from Southampton, drawing interest from 3 clubs
- Ujah, top agent, Cute Abiola to grace Awoniyi's sponsored 'Never Stop Dreaming Cup' final
- Official: Promising Nigerian midfielder signs new contract with Sparta Prague
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football