Chelsea star urges Balogun to pledge international future to USA over Nigeria, EnglandPublished: March 24, 2023
Chelsea star Christian Pulisic has revealed he would love Arsenal-owned striker Folarin Balogun to play for the United States national team.
Balogun qualifies to represent the Americans because he was born in New York, but he's provisionally cap-tied to England where he grew up and also eligible for a third country, Nigeria, through his parents.
There has been intense speculation over the international future of Balogun in recent weeks and on Tuesday, he withdrew from the England U21 squad ahead of their friendlies, citing an undisclosed injury, which added fuel to the rumors that he is considering switching his allegiance from England to the United States.
The Hale End Academy product has been in sensational form for Stade de Reims since his loan move to France, scoring 18 goals in 29 all-competition appearances.
Pulisic was eligible to play for Croatia's national team through his grandparents but declined the opportunity in favour of representing his country of birth, United States.
The Chelsea winger is urging Balogun to emulate him by choosing to play for the United States, rather than England or Nigeria.
In quotes relayed by Goal.com, Pulisic said : "I haven’t really spoken to him personally. I know some of the guys that know him from previous teams or whatever have reached out to him and spoken to him. From our side, we’d love to have him."
US Soccer previously beat Nigeria to the services of Oguchi Onyewu and Maurice Edu who both represented the Stars and Stripes at the 2010 World Cup in South Africa.
Nigerian-born defender George Bello and West Brom's Daryl Dike are cap-tied to the Americas, with the latter making the roster for Nations League matches this month.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- 'The love for the badge is unwavering'- Osimhen insists he's committed to Napoli amid Chelsea, Man Utd links
- Quick and direct winger signs new contract with Chelsea
- Nottingham Forest fullback joins Super Eagles walking wounded ahead of Saudi Arabia friendly
- A bridge too far: Boniface unsuccessful in attempt to match Helmes feat but helps Bayer set new record
- Put me on the bench: Akpom tells Ajax coach he's unhappy playing as a No. 10 or winger
- 'Wasn't even a foul' - Ex-Liverpool fullback claims Tottenham star Udogie didn't deserve to be booked
- 'If he leaves in 6 months he will regret' - Ex-Napoli striker criticises Osimhen for not celebrating his goals
- 'I don't follow history' - Southampton loanee Onuachu admits he had no idea he set a record
- Klopp questions red card shown to Jota for foul on Udogie; Tottenham defender should have been sent off too
- Players with the most flair in Chelsea squad: Chukwuemeka picks Madueke, two others
- Football Betting
- Cakhia TV truc tiep
- Socolive TV truc tiep bong da
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football