Balogun inspired by Saka's achievements with Arsenal first teamPublished: March 26, 2023
On-loan Gunner Folarin Balogun, has admitted that he has been inspired by the impressive performances of Bukayo Saka at Arsenal this season.
Saka, who was teammates with Balogun at the Arsenal Academy, has been one of the best players for the Premier League table toppers, scoring 12 goals and registering 10 assists in 28 league games.
The 21-year-old Balogun is enjoying a great spell with Stade de Reims in Ligue 1 this season, scoring 17 goals and is in a good position to win the Golden Boot and Young Player of the Year awards.
In an interview with the official website of the French Ligue 1, Balogun was asked whether he was keeping an eye on the Gunners this season.
The Hale End Academy graduate responded : "Yeah, I mean, I can't not really. Every time I turn on my phone and I see their scores, and I just see some of my friends, obviously I still speak with them, and yeah, I'm buzzing for them.
"A lot of them have worked so hard, and I've seen it over pre-season. They deserve it, to be where they are. I just hope they can bring it over the line.
"I've grown up with Bukayo [Saka], especially, since maybe the age of 13s, 14s, and to see what he has achieved in the first team, I take inspiration from that."
Like his international future, Balogun is also uncertain about what the future holds for him at the Emirates Stadium.
Several European clubs are keeping tabs on the Anglo-American-Nigerian center forward, including teams in the Bundesliga, Serie A, La Liga, Ligue 1 and Premier League, with a view to a summer swoop.
Balogun withdrew from the England U21 squad last week, citing injury, and will be hoping he is fit enough for Reims' next league game against Nantes at the Stade de la Beaujoire - Louis Fonteneau on April 2.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- L'Equipe indicates Super Eagles vice-captain is surplus to requirements at Nantes
- Victor Boniface yet to start negotiations with any team amid Eintracht Frankfurt, Leipzig links
- 'Many lies were told' - Italian pundit claims Osimhen was not sincere about his Napoli future
- Brentford, Leicester stars named in Super Eagles expanded squad for 2023 AFCONQ
- Central defender of African descent returns to Chelsea
- Opposition watch: Canada include Arsenal, Chelsea, Man Utd stars in provisional WWC squad
- Super Eagles striker linked with departure from Southampton, drawing interest from 3 clubs
- Ujah, top agent, Cute Abiola to grace Awoniyi's sponsored 'Never Stop Dreaming Cup' final
- Official: Promising Nigerian midfielder signs new contract with Sparta Prague
- Former Watford scout urges Man Utd to sign Osimhen if Kane slips out of their hands
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football