'The boys know what the mission is' - Omeruo assures Super Eagles want to redeem imagePublished: March 27, 2023
Kenneth Omeruo has assured that the Super Eagles will redeem their image when they take on Guinea-Bissau in a 2023 Africa Cup of Nations qualifying match on Monday.
Jose Peseiro's project seems not to be working, with the national team suffering five defeats in under a year since he took over the managerial reigns.
Pressure is piling on the Portuguese football tactician following the poor run of results, with fans and pundits alike calling for his sack.
Forward players Samuel Chukwueze, Victor Osimhen and Ademola Lookman are having their best season since turning professional in terms of goals scored, but were a shadow of themselves in the first leg in Abuja.
Omeruo is aware that the strikers have to live up to expectations if the Super Eagles are to stand a chance of emerging victorious in Monday's encounter.
Speaking at Sunday's press conference, Omeruo said : "In our meeting we also addressed that issue because obviously the team was lucky to come out with a win against us.
"Possession-wise we dominated the game and we missed a lot of chances. Tomorrow the boys know what the mission is.
"We are not coming here to just play and draw, we are coming here to try to get the goals.
"We were unlucky the first game because we missed a lot of chances but tomorrow we are coming to fight for everything, we are not coming to joke tomorrow."
Nigeria head into the matchday four fixture at the Estádio Nacional 24 de Setembro one point behind Group A leaders Guinea-Bissau, who are unbeaten after three games in AFCON qualifying.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- Nigeria squad announcement: Arsenal, Man City, Spurs youth products called up for AFCONQ
- L'Equipe indicates Super Eagles vice-captain is surplus to requirements at Nantes
- Victor Boniface yet to start negotiations with any team amid Eintracht Frankfurt, Leipzig links
- 'Many lies were told' - Italian pundit claims Osimhen was not sincere about his Napoli future
- Brentford, Leicester stars named in Super Eagles expanded squad for 2023 AFCONQ
- Central defender of African descent returns to Chelsea
- Opposition watch: Canada include Arsenal, Chelsea, Man Utd stars in provisional WWC squad
- Super Eagles striker linked with departure from Southampton, drawing interest from 3 clubs
- Ujah, top agent, Cute Abiola to grace Awoniyi's sponsored 'Never Stop Dreaming Cup' final
- Official: Promising Nigerian midfielder signs new contract with Sparta Prague
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football