'Kane's not going on forever' - Arsenal legend Wright backs Balogun for England call-upPublished: March 29, 2023
The international future of Arsenal-owned striker Folarin Balogun is in doubt after he was omitted from the England squad for their March internationals.
Three Lions boss Gareth Southgate resisted the temptation to bag the Hale End Academy graduate by fielding him in competitive matches against Italy and Ukraine this month, arguing that Brentford star Ivan Toney was playing in a higher ranked league than the French-based striker.
Statistically, Southgate has made a valid point, considering the fact that Toney has 20 goal involvements (16 goals, 4 assists) in the Premier League this term, one more than Balogun who is on nineteen (17 goals 2 assists) in the Ligue 1.
Balogun, who is also eligible for the Super Eagles through his parents, was naturally disappointed to miss out on selection and it is known that he has been flirting with the United States Men's National Team as he ponders his international future at senior level.
Arsenal legend Ian Wright has highlighted that Balogun should have been considered for an England call-up to act as understudy to Tottenham Hotspur striker Harry Kane who turns 30 in July.
In quotes relayed by Daily Express, Wright said on on his podcast Wrighty’s House : "If we want to talk about a No 9s, Harry Kane’s not going on forever.
"We need as many quality No 9s coming through as we can. I think that he has to get a mention.
"He scores goals at an alarming rate. We've got to find that next No 9 is going to be able to score goals to win us games in those tournaments.
"And at the moment, it's not there. It's not there at the moment. So I would say don't say things maybe at this point to dissuade somebody from having a go."
Balogun was teammates with Bukayo Saka at U17 and U18 levels for England, before the winger earned a rapid promotion to the Three Lions.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- Nigeria squad announcement: Arsenal, Man City, Spurs youth products called up for AFCONQ
- L'Equipe indicates Super Eagles vice-captain is surplus to requirements at Nantes
- Victor Boniface yet to start negotiations with any team amid Eintracht Frankfurt, Leipzig links
- 'Many lies were told' - Italian pundit claims Osimhen was not sincere about his Napoli future
- Brentford, Leicester stars named in Super Eagles expanded squad for 2023 AFCONQ
- Central defender of African descent returns to Chelsea
- Opposition watch: Canada include Arsenal, Chelsea, Man Utd stars in provisional WWC squad
- Super Eagles striker linked with departure from Southampton, drawing interest from 3 clubs
- Ujah, top agent, Cute Abiola to grace Awoniyi's sponsored 'Never Stop Dreaming Cup' final
- Official: Promising Nigerian midfielder signs new contract with Sparta Prague
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football