'Just a pitch with grass' - Iwobi urges NFF to provide infrastructure to match Super Eagles abilityPublished: March 29, 2023
Alex Iwobi has urged the Nigeria Football Federation to provide infrastructure to match the ability of the Super Eagles players, most of whom play for top European clubs.
Five days ago, Nigeria were shocked 1-0 at home by 118th ranked Guinea-Bissau in an Africa Cup of Nations qualifier staged at the National Stadium in Abuja, with many fans and pundits suggesting that the playing surface contributed to the loss.
Iwobi and manager Jose Peseiro diplomatically refused to comment on the state of the pitch during the post-match press conference in Abuja , so as not to incur the wrath of the Nigerian Federation and Sports Ministry.
However, the Portuguese football tactician threw caution to the wind on Monday evening when he admitted that the Super Eagles played on a better pitch in Bissau compared to the Moshood Abiola National Stadium.
Before his trip to Africa for the internationals this month, Iwobi had an interview with The Beautiful Game Podcast, where he revealed some of the challenges being faced by the Super Eagles players.
"I'm not going to say something that gets me into trouble. For example we don't even know if we are going to have a nice pitch when we play," Iwobi stressed.
"Obviously we've got a new coach now and we played Sierra Leone in a difficult game and we just about beat them 2-1, then we played São Tomé and Príncipe and beat them 10-0, but we played on a great pitch.
"A lot of us play in Europe now so we play in great pitches where it's easy to just manipulate the ball, let the ball do the work, play freely.
"If we had that in Nigeria, I feel like it would be difficult to beat us. I am confident enough to say that not many teams can beat us.
"Having a good pitch, if we have that, I feel like we'd be unstoppable. Just a pitch with grass, no crops".
Iwobi is the only outfield player to have gone the distance in all the matches played by the national team since the appointment of Jose Peseiro as coach.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- Nigeria squad announcement: Arsenal, Man City, Spurs youth products called up for AFCONQ
- L'Equipe indicates Super Eagles vice-captain is surplus to requirements at Nantes
- Victor Boniface yet to start negotiations with any team amid Eintracht Frankfurt, Leipzig links
- 'Many lies were told' - Italian pundit claims Osimhen was not sincere about his Napoli future
- Brentford, Leicester stars named in Super Eagles expanded squad for 2023 AFCONQ
- Central defender of African descent returns to Chelsea
- Opposition watch: Canada include Arsenal, Chelsea, Man Utd stars in provisional WWC squad
- Super Eagles striker linked with departure from Southampton, drawing interest from 3 clubs
- Ujah, top agent, Cute Abiola to grace Awoniyi's sponsored 'Never Stop Dreaming Cup' final
- Official: Promising Nigerian midfielder signs new contract with Sparta Prague
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football