Balogun's international future : Arsenal boss Arteta shares advice to Super Eagles-eligible strikerPublished: March 31, 2023
Arsenal manager Mikel Arteta has weighed in on the international future of Arsenal-owned forward Folarin Balogun, who is currently on loan with Stade de Reims in Ligue 1.
The uncertainty and controversy surrounding the international future of the striker who is eligible to play for England, the United States and Nigeria took another turn in the just concluded international break.
After the Arsenal-owned striker withdrew from the England U21 squad due to injury, he was pictured in Orlando, where the USMNT were preparing for a CONCACAF Nations League match against Grenada.
It was also further confirmed that he has discussed this with USMNT interim coach Anthony Hudson.
Following the confirmation that the 21-year-old had spoken with the USMNT interim coach, England U21 coach Lee Carsley is ready to react and it has been reported that he will travel to France to speak with the striker concerning his international future.
Speaking to the media of Arsenal's Premier League game against Leeds United on Saturday, the Gunners boss was asked if he had any advice for Balogun regarding his international decision and he said : "To focus on today, and focus on what he had been doing because he has been phenomenal.
"Keep doing what he has been doing and don’t focus on anything else, and everything else will come naturally.
"I would try to do what he has been doing because he’s been working really well for him and the team."
Although the Hale End Academy graduate is eligible to play for the Super Eagles,there is nothing to suggest that the Nigeria Football Federation have attempted to convince him to represent the three-time African champions.
Balogun has mustered 17 goals in the French top-flight so far this season, bettered only by Jonathan David (Lille) and Kylian Mbappe (PSG) who are on nineteen goals.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- Nigeria squad announcement: Arsenal, Man City, Spurs youth products called up for AFCONQ
- L'Equipe indicates Super Eagles vice-captain is surplus to requirements at Nantes
- Victor Boniface yet to start negotiations with any team amid Eintracht Frankfurt, Leipzig links
- 'Many lies were told' - Italian pundit claims Osimhen was not sincere about his Napoli future
- Brentford, Leicester stars named in Super Eagles expanded squad for 2023 AFCONQ
- Central defender of African descent returns to Chelsea
- Opposition watch: Canada include Arsenal, Chelsea, Man Utd stars in provisional WWC squad
- Super Eagles striker linked with departure from Southampton, drawing interest from 3 clubs
- Ujah, top agent, Cute Abiola to grace Awoniyi's sponsored 'Never Stop Dreaming Cup' final
- Official: Promising Nigerian midfielder signs new contract with Sparta Prague
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football