Nigerian striker makes competitive Rangers B debut in loss to CelticPublished: April 02, 2023
Two days after Glasgow Rangers confirmed the capture of 2023 Flying Eagles invitee Thompson Ishaka, the striker made his competitive debut for their B team in a Lowland League match against Celtic at Ibrox on Sunday afternoon.
The Riverlane Football Academy Enugu product put pen to paper on a deal until the end of the 2024-2025 season following a successful trial last summer.
Rangers B head coach David Mccallum made five changes to the side, one of which saw Ishaka named in the starting lineup and he was tasked to provide support to Robbie Ure in attack.
The Light Blues made a promising start to the game and deservedly took the lead through Arron Lyall, who released a powerful shot at the edge of the box that went into the net midway through the first half.
Four minutes before halftime, goalkeeper Lewis Budinauckas was dismissed by referee Greg Soutar for handling the ball outside the area.
Rangers manager Mccallum reacted by taking off Ishaka and bringing in a replacement goalkeeper Jacob Pazikas.
Ben Quinn bundled the ball home to restore parity as both teams headed into the break level.
Quinn grabbed his second of the game in the 53rd minute and Adam Brooks added a third four minutes later.
Republic of Ireland underage international of Nigerian descent, Bosun Lawal went the full ninety for Celtic.
Photo Credit : rangers.co.uk
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- Shoretire battles Garnacho, Fernandes, 6 others for Manchester United Goal of the Month
- Iwobi's brilliant effort against favourite PL opponents nominated for Fulham Goal of the Month
- Victor Boniface: Juventus target Bundesliga star as possible replacement for Arsenal-linked striker Vlahovic
- Two teenagers of Nigerian descent promoted to Arsenal first team training pre-Wolves
- Dessers struggling to make an impact: Ex-Scotland star insists Rangers must sign a striker in January
- Blow to the jaw: Arsenal-owned goalkeeper Okonkwo to be assessed ahead of Wrexham v Yeovil Town
- Official: Chelsea confirm two talented midfielders have signed new deals
- Nottingham Forest's Goal of the Month award : Aina's first-time finish against Aston Villa nominated
- 101 Gunners goalscorers at the Emirates: Iwobi scored same number of goals as Arsenal legend Henry
- Watch: Gift Orban among four contenders for UEFA Europa Conference League Goal of the Week
- Football Betting
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football