'If he's wanted by clubs like Chelsea, Man City' - Pundit says Rangers sealed coup by signing IshakaPublished: April 13, 2023
Former Hibernian striker and Scottish football pundit Tam McManus has revealed that Glasgow Rangers pulled off a transfer coup by signing talented Nigerian striker Thompson Ishaka,
The Light Blues confirmed the capture of the Riverlane Football Academy Enugu product on March 31, 2023 following a successful trial last summer.
The promising teenager put pen to paper on a two-year contract that will keep him at the Ibrox Stadium until at least the end of the 2024-2025 season,
Ishaka was courted by a plethora of top European clubs before he opted for Rangers over his other suitors.
Premier League giants Manchester City and Chelsea were mulling over inviting him for trials with a view to a potential swoop, while there was concrete interest from PSV Eindhoven.
McManus noted that Ishaka must be a quality player to be on the radar of top European clubs, and reckons that he'll be targeting a first team spot at Rangers in the not too distant future.
"It seems to be a coup. I’ve not seen a lot of him but he’s signed a contract until 2025," McManus said to Ibrox News.
"I’ve seen some clips of him on social media and he looks good. It could be a bit of a coup for Rangers if they can get him into the first team.
"I know he’s probably going to be playing with the B team but he’s just got to try and get into the senior team.
"If he does that and he plays, there’ll be some big offers for him.
"If he’s wanted by clubs like [Chelsea and Manchester City], there must be something about him.
"But Rangers will want him to try and get into the first team as quickly as possible."
Ishaka, who trained with the Flying Eagles before the 2023 Africa U20 Cup of Nations, made his competitive debut for Rangers B against Celtic on April 2, and was also handed a starting berth against University of Stirling FC six days later.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- PSG determined to bring back to Ligue 1 at least one between Osimhen and Man City midfielder
- Premier League new boys Luton Town considering transfer swoop for Nigerian striker
- FC Basel show the exit door to youth team captain Uruejoma
- Gent goal machine Gift Orban is most valuable player in Belgium, Boniface joint-seventh
- Opinion: Why Super Eagles coach Peseiro dropped Moffi from AFCONQ squad
- Tottenham join Chelsea, Man Utd, Man City in race for Golden Eaglets-eligible midfielder
- Confirmed: Most expensive African player in history returns to Arsenal
- Eight things to note on Super Eagles 23-man roster for AFCONQ v Sierra Leone
- Nigeria squad announcement: Arsenal, Man City, Spurs youth products called up for AFCONQ
- L'Equipe indicates Super Eagles vice-captain is surplus to requirements at Nantes
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football