UECL : Orban's bicycle kick hits the bar as Gent become first team not to lose to West HamPublished: April 13, 2023
West Ham's central defender of Nigerian descent Angelo Ogbonna did a good job preventing Gift Orban from finding the net as the Premier League side were forced to a 1-1 draw by Gent in a UEFA Europa Conference League quarter-final first leg clash at the Ghelamco Arena on Thursday evening.
The Hammers headed into the game looking to extend their ten-match winning run in the Europa Conference League, including the qualifying rounds, but a second half goal from Orban's strike partner Hugo Cuypers saw the encounter end in a draw.
For a big chunk of the first half, Gent were the better team but they were behind at halftime as Danny Ings, with his first goal in European competition, converted a cross from Jarrod Bowen following a quickly taken throw in in the third minute of stoppage time.
The opening goal was scored eight minutes after Nayef Aguerd's goal was disallowed following a VAR review.
Ogbonna received a booking in the 34th minute after clattering into the back of Orban.
In the 57th minute, Cuypers slotted past Areola with a left-footed finish from about 14 yards out after he was found by Castro-Montes.
Orban fired a rasping shot from about 30 yards in the 63rd minute but it went wide and he could have scored a goal of the tournament in the 82nd minute when his acrobatic bicycle kick clipped the top of the crossbar with the West Ham goalkeeper beaten.
That was to be his last act of the game as he came off to be replaced by Tarik Tissoudali with seven minutes left on the clock.
Photo Credit : uefa.com
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- Nottingham Forest fullback joins Super Eagles walking wounded ahead of Saudi Arabia friendly
- A bridge too far: Boniface unsuccessful in attempt to match Helmes feat but helps Bayer set new record
- Put me on the bench: Akpom tells Ajax coach he's unhappy playing as a No. 10 or winger
- 'Wasn't even a foul' - Ex-Liverpool fullback claims Tottenham star Udogie didn't deserve to be booked
- 'If he leaves in 6 months he will regret' - Ex-Napoli striker criticises Osimhen for not celebrating his goals
- 'I don't follow history' - Southampton loanee Onuachu admits he had no idea he set a record
- Klopp questions red card shown to Jota for foul on Udogie; Tottenham defender should have been sent off too
- Players with the most flair in Chelsea squad: Chukwuemeka picks Madueke, two others
- 'You're playing against big players' - Tottenham left-back Udogie on his 1v1 duels with Saka and Salah
- History-maker: Southampton loanee Onuachu goes into the record book after third goal for Trabzonspor
- Football Betting
- Cakhia TV truc tiep
- Socolive TV truc tiep bong da
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football