UWCL Confirmed team news Chelsea v Barcelona : Oshoala, Lopez start from bench; Akpan omittedPublished: April 22, 2023
The team news are in for Saturday afternoon's eagerly anticipated match between Chelsea and Barcelona in a UEFA Women's Champions League semifinal clash at Stamford Bridge.
As expected, five-time African Women's Footballer of the Year, Asisat Oshoala has not been named in Barcelona's starting lineup.
Although the Super Falcons star has been named among the substitutes, it remains to be seen whether or not she will be utilized off the bench by manager Jonatan Giráldez considering that she had physical problems before the trip to the English capital.
Chelsea would be glad to see the former Liverpool and Arsenal striker, who has totaled 24 goals in all competitions this season and who played well against them in the 2021 final, starting on the bench.
Spain U17 sensation of Nigerian descent Vicky Lopez, winner of the Golden Ball at the 2022 FIFA U17 Women's World Cup, has also been named among the Blaugranes' substitutes.
The Spanish-Nigerian striker is the youngest player to debut for Barcelona Femeni and is also the youngest player to feature in a Clásico, in both male and female football.
This is the fifth call-up Lopez has received for a UEFA Women's Champions League match.
Meanwhile, Chelsea boss Emma Hayes has omitted Anglo-Polish-Nigerian midfielder Ashanti Akpan from her starting lineup.
The 17-year-old trained with the first team in their final workout at Cobham Training Center on Friday afternoon.
Confirmed starting lineups
Chelsea: Berger, Perisset, Mjelde, Eriksson (c), Carter, Leupolz, Cuthbert, Charles, Cankovic, Reiten, Kerr.
Subs: Musovic, Orman, Abdullina, Fleming, Ingle, Harder, James, Rytting Kaneryd.
Barcelona: Panos, Bronze, Paredes, Leon, Rolfo, Bonamati, Walsh, Guijarro, Graham Hansen, Geyse, Paralluelo.
Subs: Coll, Codina Panedas, Fernandez, Pina, Crnogorcevic, Torrejon, Caldentey, Vilamala, Oshoala, Rabana, Syrstad Engen, Lopez.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- PSG determined to bring back to Ligue 1 at least one between Osimhen and Man City midfielder
- Premier League new boys Luton Town considering transfer swoop for Nigerian striker
- FC Basel show the exit door to youth team captain Uruejoma
- Gent goal machine Gift Orban is most valuable player in Belgium, Boniface joint-seventh
- Opinion: Why Super Eagles coach Peseiro dropped Moffi from AFCONQ squad
- Tottenham join Chelsea, Man Utd, Man City in race for Golden Eaglets-eligible midfielder
- Confirmed: Most expensive African player in history returns to Arsenal
- Eight things to note on Super Eagles 23-man roster for AFCONQ v Sierra Leone
- Nigeria squad announcement: Arsenal, Man City, Spurs youth products called up for AFCONQ
- L'Equipe indicates Super Eagles vice-captain is surplus to requirements at Nantes
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football