Oshoala subbed in as Barcelona beat Chelsea in historic UWCL game at Stamford BridgePublished: April 22, 2023
Chelsea were beaten 1-0 by Barcelona in the first leg of their UEFA Women's Champions League semifinal clash on Saturday afternoon.
A crowd of 27,697 spectators watched the game at Stamford Bridge, which is a record UEFA Women's Champions League attendance in the United Kingdom.
Super Falcons star Asisat Oshoala and Spanish-Nigerian wonderkid Vicky Lopez were named among Barcelona's substitutes, while Anglo-Polish-Nigerian midfielder AshantI Akpan was omitted from Chelsea's matchday squad despite training with the first team on Friday.
It was Barcelona who were able to take the early lead through Caroline Graham Hansen who unleashed a fierce shot from distance that flew into the top corner in the fourth minute.
Chelsea responded and had the ball in the back of the net in the 25th minute through Reiten, but it was ruled out for offside.
The WSL champions wee knocking on the door in search of an equalizer in the second half but Barcelona were able to hold on to their slender advantage.
While Oshoala came off the bench to replace match-winner Hansen in the 84th minute, Lopez was a non-playing substitute.
Barcelona will host Chelsea in the return leg next week, on Thursday at the Spotify Camp Nou.
Photo Credit : uefa.com
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- Deborah Abiodun reacts: Super Falcons to face Bayana Bayana in final phase of Paris 2024 Olympic qualifiers
- Three uncapped teenagers who could break into Super Eagles squad before 2026 World Cup
- Back in the groove: Rangers striker Cyriel Dessers named Scottish Premiership Player of the Week
- Race for Victor Osimhen: Chelsea concerned about missing out on African POTY
- Kickoff to profit mastering football betting with Tedbet
- 'Didn't give Rashford a kick' - PL all-time top scorer Shearer hails Bassey for pocketing Man Utd striker
- Fulham midfielder Iwobi named in PL TOTW alongside Arsenal and Man City stars
- Who is Sylvester Jasper? The Fulham product observed by Peseiro; insists he's good enough for Super Eagles
- Medical update: Porto's Super Eagles LB Zaidu operated on by Cristiano Ronaldo's most trusted doctor
- 'It was hard watching AFCON from home' - Udinese GK Okoye makes himself available for Super Eagles recall
- Football Betting
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football