Pundit namechecks Bassey's transfer among the bad signings made by Ajax last summerPublished: April 24, 2023
Dutch football pundit Johan Inan reckons that Super Eagles defender Calvin Bassey is one of the worst purchases made by Ajax last summer which has affected the performance of the club this season.
Bassey joined the Dutch club with a huge reputation from Glasgow Rangers.
He was instrumental for the Scottish side in their run to the Europa League final in his final season at the club.
The Leicester City academy product also helped Rangers win their 55th league title in the 2020-2021 season under Steven Gerrard.
Bassey made his league debut for Ajax in the 1-0 win over Sparta Rotterdam. He has gone on to start 19 more games in the Eredivisie and was a substitute on four occasions.
The Nigeria international has failed to replicate the form that saw him move to Ajax last summer despite being given enough playing time.
Speaking on Algemeen Dagblad's football podcast on how he feels about Ajax's acquisition of Bassey, Steven Bergwin and Brian Brobbey, Inan was quoted as saying by Ajax Showtime : "Sometimes, but I didn't see this coming when they got those players.
"They go from Blind, Martínez and Mazraoui to Hato, Bassey and Sánchez. That is typical of the mismanagement at Ajax.
"No purchase pays off. At most only keeper Rulli, but he was also very unhappy in Eindhoven. It's a consequence of not having a director of football affairs and ignoring your scouting.
"Then, after a very painful year, Ajax comes to the conclusion that it was all unnecessary".
Ajax currently occupy the third position in the table with 62 points, 11 points adrift of table toppers Feyenoord, who have garnered 73 points.
Photo Credit : ajax.nl
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- PSG determined to bring back to Ligue 1 at least one between Osimhen and Man City midfielder
- Premier League new boys Luton Town considering transfer swoop for Nigerian striker
- FC Basel show the exit door to youth team captain Uruejoma
- Gent goal machine Gift Orban is most valuable player in Belgium, Boniface joint-seventh
- Opinion: Why Super Eagles coach Peseiro dropped Moffi from AFCONQ squad
- Tottenham join Chelsea, Man Utd, Man City in race for Golden Eaglets-eligible midfielder
- Confirmed: Most expensive African player in history returns to Arsenal
- Eight things to note on Super Eagles 23-man roster for AFCONQ v Sierra Leone
- Nigeria squad announcement: Arsenal, Man City, Spurs youth products called up for AFCONQ
- L'Equipe indicates Super Eagles vice-captain is surplus to requirements at Nantes
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football