'I don't deserve to sit on the bench' - Gift Orban sends message to KAA Gent coachPublished: April 29, 2023
KAA Gent striker Gift Orban has expressed his displeasure over being named on the bench in Gent's 3-1 win over KVC Westerlo on Friday.
Orban had a blistering start in his career at Gent, having scored 14 goals in twelve games, but has struggled in front of goal in recent weeks, failing to score in five games in a row for the Buffaloes before the visit of KVC Westerlo.
The 20-year-old was left on the bench for 76 minutes by Gent manager boss Hein Vanhaezebrouck with Moroccan forward Tarik Tissoudali preferred over him in a 3-5-2 formation.
He came on for Tissoudali and scored Gent's third goal after he was teed up by his strike partner, Hugo Cuypers.
Orban's fury was evident as he headed straight to the dressing room instead of appreciating the fans with his teammates after the encounter.
"That I started on the bench? A decision by the coach," Orban told Het Laatste Nieuws.
"I still feel in top shape. And it's not because I didn't score in the past games that I didn't help the team, right? I did nothing wrong.
"Honestly? I don't think I deserve to sit on the bench. I am a player who has to grow in a match from the start. That's when I'm at my best."
Orban has now netted 15 goals and registered 2 assists in 17 games for the Belgian outfit and would now be hoping he has convinced his manager that he deserves to start the next game against Standard Liege next week Saturday.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- PSG determined to bring back to Ligue 1 at least one between Osimhen and Man City midfielder
- Premier League new boys Luton Town considering transfer swoop for Nigerian striker
- FC Basel show the exit door to youth team captain Uruejoma
- Gent goal machine Gift Orban is most valuable player in Belgium, Boniface joint-seventh
- Opinion: Why Super Eagles coach Peseiro dropped Moffi from AFCONQ squad
- Tottenham join Chelsea, Man Utd, Man City in race for Golden Eaglets-eligible midfielder
- Confirmed: Most expensive African player in history returns to Arsenal
- Eight things to note on Super Eagles 23-man roster for AFCONQ v Sierra Leone
- Nigeria squad announcement: Arsenal, Man City, Spurs youth products called up for AFCONQ
- L'Equipe indicates Super Eagles vice-captain is surplus to requirements at Nantes
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football