Netherlands most capped player claims Ajax didn't reject N12b PL offer for BasseyPublished: May 02, 2023
Netherlands most capped player of all time Wesley Sneijder, has refuted claims that Ajax turned down a 23 million euro (approximately N12 billion in Nigerian currency) offer for Calvin Bassey.
Last week, a report from a Dutch outlet emerged that an unnamed English Premier League club had offered €23million to Ajax for the services of Bassey.
Bassey moved to the Amsterdam club last summer from Glasgow Rangers but has struggled for form and has come under scrutiny for his subpar performances.
Ajax's former manager Alfred Schreuder initially used him as a centre-back and later as a left-back in a bid to find a suitable role for him but failed to impress in any of those positions.
It is no surprise that he has been relegated to the bench by current Ajax manager John Heitinga.
Due to his struggles, the Super Eagles defender is being linked with a move away from Amsterdam after just one season.
Reacting to the news, Sneijder told Veronica Offside, via Voetbal Primeur: "So I really don't believe any of that. De Telegraaf is of course well informed at Ajax, so I think the club also wants to take the pressure off a bit with this.
"For example with John Heitinga, because there is extra pressure now that he has lost that cup final. It really can't be that if they get such an offer for Bassey that Ajax won't do it."
The former Rangers defender has played 38 games in all competitions for Ajax Amsterdam, scoring one goal while registering five assists.
Photo Credit : ajax.nl
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- 'My parents are proud Nigerians' - Premier League's fastest player reveals he considered playing for Super Eagles
- 'Declan Rice, Grealish chose England over Ireland' - Pundit on the international future of Arsenal striker Obi-Martin
- 'We have Adeleye, Ojo, Sochima' - Peseiro's sidekick urges Super Eagles coach to give chances to invitees
- 'I had an opportunity to get a hat-trick' - Iwobi admits he wanted to stay on against Nottingham Forest
- Nigerian tactician Hassan Sulaiman leads Chelsea into fourth round of FA Youth Cup
- 'Martial is a waste of space' - Ex-Chelsea star urges Man Utd to sign Boniface when 25 percent stake is sold
- Flying Eagles-eligible player among young talents called up to train with Arsenal first team pre-Aston Villa
- To start or not to start against Liverpool? Crystal Palace manager to make late decision on Olise
- Pictured: Man Utd coach promotes two teenagers of Nigerian descent to first team training pre-Bournemouth
- Super Eagles GK crisis: Peseiro lands in South Africa to run the rule over Chippa United star
- Football Betting
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football