Osimhen scores title-winning goal as Napoli's 33-year wait for Serie A crown is overPublished: May 04, 2023
Super Eagles striker Victor Osimhen was the hero as Napoli's Serie A title win was confirmed on Thursday evening with a 1-1 draw against Udinese at the Dacia Arena as the club made iconic by the late Diego Maradona won their first Scudetto since 1990.
Osimhen scored his 22nd goal in the Serie A this season (27 in all competitions from 34 games) on the evening.
The game marked the 25th start in the league for the predatory striker who had an all-round great game.
Udinese scored a brilliant team goal 13 minutes into the game through Sandi Lovricwho was set up by Italian-Nigerian defender Destiny Udogie.
The goal had to be checked by the VAR team and the Zebras were meant to wait but the players erupted with joy after the decision went in their favour.
Nigeria-eligible defender Kingsley Ehizibue was lucky to escape the referee's yellow card when he fouled an opponent.
Napoli's Khvicha Kvaratskhelia went down in the box after a challenge from a defender but the referee's verdict was to wave 'play on' much to the disappointment of the Napoli fans.
Osimhen latched onto a precise lofted pass into the penalty area and powered a header at goal, but his attempt into the bottom corner failed to beat Marco Silvestri, who produced a sensational save.
The Nigerian was also presented with another chance in the 32nd minute when he latched onto a glorious cross from Giovanni Di Lorenzo. The former youth international's header went just wide of the right post.
Osimhen swept home the ball in the 52nd minute from a rebound for his 22nd of the campaign to send Napoli to delirium.
The Super Eagles star had the ball in the 67th minute but the effort was overruled due to a dangerous play leading to that after Kvaratskhelia crossed the ball into the vital area with a delightful dribble prior to that.
The duo of Kingsley Ehizibue and Udogie were substituted off with injuries in the second half.
Photo Credit : legaseriea.it
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- PSG determined to bring back to Ligue 1 at least one between Osimhen and Man City midfielder
- Premier League new boys Luton Town considering transfer swoop for Nigerian striker
- FC Basel show the exit door to youth team captain Uruejoma
- Gent goal machine Gift Orban is most valuable player in Belgium, Boniface joint-seventh
- Opinion: Why Super Eagles coach Peseiro dropped Moffi from AFCONQ squad
- Tottenham join Chelsea, Man Utd, Man City in race for Golden Eaglets-eligible midfielder
- Confirmed: Most expensive African player in history returns to Arsenal
- Eight things to note on Super Eagles 23-man roster for AFCONQ v Sierra Leone
- Nigeria squad announcement: Arsenal, Man City, Spurs youth products called up for AFCONQ
- L'Equipe indicates Super Eagles vice-captain is surplus to requirements at Nantes
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football