Osimhen leapfrogs George Weah to become highest scoring African in Serie A historyPublished: May 07, 2023
In their first game after being crowned champions of the Italian Serie A, Napoli left it late to beat Fiorentina 1-0 at the Diego Maradona Stadium on Sunday evening, with Victor Osimhen making a bit of history.
The Nigeria international surpassed the legendary AC Milan striker George Weah as the top scoring African in the history of the Serie A when he found the net in the 74th minute.
Osimhen now has 47 goals in the Serie A, one more than Weah, who made 114 appearances for AC Milan across five seasons.
The Napoli number 9 blasted the ball past Fiorentina goalkeeper, Pietro Terracciano into the net from the penalty spot for the game-winning goal.
It was a moment of atonement for the Super Eagles forward as he had earlier missed from the penalty spot in the 48th minute when Stanislav Lobotka was brought down in the penalty area.
The goal was his second league goal against Fiorentina having scored his first goal against them last season.
Osimhen was brought off in the 77th minute and was replaced by Giovanni Simeone.
The 24-year-old has now netted 23 goals in the Serie A this season for Napoli, four more than nearest challenger, Lautaro Martinez.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- WAFCONQ: Five observations from Super Falcons come-from-behind win against Cape Verde
- WAFCONQ Cape Verde 1 Nigeria 2: Super-sub Okoronkwo, Ajibade on target in come-from-behind win
- Bayer Leverkusen coach hints at strike partner for 'strong and technically excellent' Boniface
- 10 players including 3 invited to Nigeria national teams in the past in the running for Crystal Palace GOTM
- The top-rated Nigerian players in the Premier Leagues of Europe
- 'We know he's a very good player' - West Brom boss explains why Super Eagles striker is not starting games
- Houston Dynamo decline contract option for two Nigerian-born players; ex-Flying Eagles star Aliyu retained
- Dapo Afolayan: Exciting winger who learned his trade at Chelsea commits international future to Nigeria
- 'If they are called up, they will go' - Bayer chief confirms Boniface and Tella will be released to NFF for AFCON
- AFCON 2023: Should Rangers defender Leon Balogun be recalled to the national team?
- Football Betting
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football