Osimhen leapfrogs George Weah to become highest scoring African in Serie A historyPublished: May 07, 2023
In their first game after being crowned champions of the Italian Serie A, Napoli left it late to beat Fiorentina 1-0 at the Diego Maradona Stadium on Sunday evening, with Victor Osimhen making a bit of history.
The Nigeria international surpassed the legendary AC Milan striker George Weah as the top scoring African in the history of the Serie A when he found the net in the 74th minute.
Osimhen now has 47 goals in the Serie A, one more than Weah, who made 114 appearances for AC Milan across five seasons.
The Napoli number 9 blasted the ball past Fiorentina goalkeeper, Pietro Terracciano into the net from the penalty spot for the game-winning goal.
It was a moment of atonement for the Super Eagles forward as he had earlier missed from the penalty spot in the 48th minute when Stanislav Lobotka was brought down in the penalty area.
The goal was his second league goal against Fiorentina having scored his first goal against them last season.
Osimhen was brought off in the 77th minute and was replaced by Giovanni Simeone.
The 24-year-old has now netted 23 goals in the Serie A this season for Napoli, four more than nearest challenger, Lautaro Martinez.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- PSG determined to bring back to Ligue 1 at least one between Osimhen and Man City midfielder
- Premier League new boys Luton Town considering transfer swoop for Nigerian striker
- FC Basel show the exit door to youth team captain Uruejoma
- Gent goal machine Gift Orban is most valuable player in Belgium, Boniface joint-seventh
- Opinion: Why Super Eagles coach Peseiro dropped Moffi from AFCONQ squad
- Tottenham join Chelsea, Man Utd, Man City in race for Golden Eaglets-eligible midfielder
- Confirmed: Most expensive African player in history returns to Arsenal
- Eight things to note on Super Eagles 23-man roster for AFCONQ v Sierra Leone
- Nigeria squad announcement: Arsenal, Man City, Spurs youth products called up for AFCONQ
- L'Equipe indicates Super Eagles vice-captain is surplus to requirements at Nantes
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football