Osimhen reacts to breaking Weah's record as the top-scoring African in Serie A historyPublished: May 08, 2023
Napoli forward, Victor Osimhen has reacted to his latest record-breaking goal which saw him surpass former Ballon d'Or winner, George Weah for the most goals scored by an African player in the Italian Serie A.
Osimhen scored Napoli's only goal in their 1-0 victory over Fiorentina from the penalty on Sunday evening, thereby taking his Serie A goal tally to 47, one more than Weah's 46.
The former Liberia International netted 46 goals for AC Milan between the 1995/1996 season and the 1999/2000 season and held the record before it was broken by Osimhen yesterday.
The fact that Osimhen broke Weah's record in fewer games makes his latest feat more laudable having scored 47 goals in 79 appearances as compared to the latter who managed 46 goals in 114 Serie A games.
While reacting on his social media account on his latest milestone the 24-year-old wrote:
"While Growing Up, I Have Always Admired The Great Achievements Of So Many African Legends And His Excellency Mr George Weah is one of them, an Icon In the world of football and also a leader to his people.
"Someone who has motivated and inspired millions Of young talents alike.
"Yesterday, It Was Great Honor Breaking His Record As The Top Scoring African Player In Serie A History, An Achievement I will Forever Cherish, Mr George Weah Has Set A Foundation Of Excellence For Individuals Like Me To Emulate And His Legacy Will Forever Be Remembered.
"I Celebrate This Milestone With Everyone Who Has Inspired And Supported Me In This Journey. Thank You For Your Contributions, God is the greatest."
In what has been an outstanding season for the former Lille forward, he had earlier broken the record of Samuel Eto'o, of most goals scored by an African player in a single season in the Serie A and is on the verge of being the first African to win the Paolo Rossi Award, the Serie A's top scorer prize.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- 'My parents are proud Nigerians' - Premier League's fastest player reveals he considered playing for Super Eagles
- 'Declan Rice, Grealish chose England over Ireland' - Pundit on the international future of Arsenal striker Obi-Martin
- 'We have Adeleye, Ojo, Sochima' - Peseiro's sidekick urges Super Eagles coach to give chances to invitees
- 'I had an opportunity to get a hat-trick' - Iwobi admits he wanted to stay on against Nottingham Forest
- Nigerian tactician Hassan Sulaiman leads Chelsea into fourth round of FA Youth Cup
- 'Martial is a waste of space' - Ex-Chelsea star urges Man Utd to sign Boniface when 25 percent stake is sold
- Flying Eagles-eligible player among young talents called up to train with Arsenal first team pre-Aston Villa
- To start or not to start against Liverpool? Crystal Palace manager to make late decision on Olise
- Pictured: Man Utd coach promotes two teenagers of Nigerian descent to first team training pre-Bournemouth
- Super Eagles GK crisis: Peseiro lands in South Africa to run the rule over Chippa United star
- Football Betting
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football