Chelsea legend hails Osimhen after Napoli's first title win in 33 yearsPublished: May 08, 2023
Chelsea legend Didier Drogba has hailed Victor Osimhen after the Nigerian star won his first-ever league title in his professional career.
Napoli became champions of the Italian top-flight for the first time in thirty three years last Thursday after a 1-1 draw away at Udinese, with their number 9 scoring the title-winning goal.
Apart from netting the decisive goal, Osimhen played a key role in the Parthenopeans winning the Scudetto.
When he netted from the penalty spot against Fiorentina on Sunday, the 2015 FIFA U17 World Cup winner took his tally in the division to 23 goals, extending his lead at the top of the scorers chart by four goals.
Should he win the top scorer award as expected, the Super Eagles striker will follow in the footsteps of David Trezeguet (Juventus), Andriy Shevchenko (AC Milan) and Zlatan Ibrahimovic (Inter Milan) who all won the Capocannoniere and Serie A title in the same season.
A physical striker blessed with aerial threat, Osimhen has often revealed that Drogba was his football idol while growing up.
The 24-year-old has been linked with a move to Chelsea, where Drogba made a name for himself with 164 goals in 381 appearances for the Londoners.
Celebrating Napoli's title win, Osimhen posted on Twitter : "Greatness".
Reacting to Osimhen's post, Drogba wrote : "Indeed Capo @victorosimhen9 from the streets of Nigeria to the World’s History books. Congratulations my Brother to you and your Club".
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- Official: 2019 Fifa U17 World Cup star Amoo terminates his contract with Omonia Nicosia
- Former Chelsea defender reckons Tottenham star Udogie is Premier League's best left-back
- 'Slightly ahead' - 2006 World Cup winner rates Osimhen higher than Vlahovic in defensive phase
- 'It's almost unstoppabe' - 1994 AFCON winner Ekoku hails Eze for fantastic free-kick goal against Tottenham
- 'Wasn't meant to be sub'- Wolves coach explains why 15yo son of ex-Super Eagles star was named in squad
- Who is Tyrique George? The dual national winger who could be Chelsea's next breakout sensation
- Super Eagles star Aribo labelled 'brilliant player' by Southampton boss after injury-time winner
- Made in Africa goal: Wissa highlights Onyeka's role in acrobatic finish against Chelsea
- Arsenal-owned goalkeeper Arthur Okonkwo hits double figures for clean sheets in EFL
- 'Mac Allister is quality' - Ex-Man City defender Onuoha praises Liverpool midfielder for game-winning assist
- Football Betting
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football