Weah congratulates Osimhen on breaking his record for most goals scored by an African player in Serie APublished: May 09, 2023
Liberia and AC Milan legend George Weah has sent a congratulatory message to the Napoli striker upon breaking his record for most goals scored by an African Player in the Italian Serie A.
Weah used to hold the record for the most goals scored by an African player in the Italian top flight
He scored 46 goals for AC Milan in 114 appearances across five seasons. .
Osimhen broke Weah's record on Sunday evening by netting Napoli's only goal in their victory over Fiorentina from the penalty spot after the VAR had adjudged that Khvicha Kvaratskhelia had been brought down in the penalty area.
The former Ballon d'Or winner while sending his congratulatory message to Osimhen on his social media account wrote:
"My heartfelt congratulations to you, Victor Osimhen! I am very glad that you have accomplished a major milestone in your football career, after scoring your 47th goal in the Italian Serie A league.
"The records show that this goal, which you netted on Sunday, May 7, 2023, when your team Napoli went against Fiorentina, effectively makes you the African with the highest scoring record in the Italian Serie A league - surpassing my account of 46 goals.
"I am so proud of your exploits and congratulate you on this remarkable achievement which is a result of your hard work, dedication and tenacity. I am also pleased with your kind words of honour in tribute to me upon reaching such a giant milestone."
The Super Eagles also hold the record for the most goals scored by an African player in a single season in the Serie A after overtaking Samuel Eto'o, who scored 21 goals for Inter Milan in the 2010/2011 season.
However, his 28-goal contributions is still three shy of Eto'o's who recorded 31-goal contributions in the ditto season.
With four goals left to be played in the Serie A this season, Osimhen could also surpass that figure while he is also eyeing the record of the first African to win the top scorer award in the Serie A.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- PSG determined to bring back to Ligue 1 at least one between Osimhen and Man City midfielder
- Premier League new boys Luton Town considering transfer swoop for Nigerian striker
- FC Basel show the exit door to youth team captain Uruejoma
- Gent goal machine Gift Orban is most valuable player in Belgium, Boniface joint-seventh
- Opinion: Why Super Eagles coach Peseiro dropped Moffi from AFCONQ squad
- Tottenham join Chelsea, Man Utd, Man City in race for Golden Eaglets-eligible midfielder
- Confirmed: Most expensive African player in history returns to Arsenal
- Eight things to note on Super Eagles 23-man roster for AFCONQ v Sierra Leone
- Nigeria squad announcement: Arsenal, Man City, Spurs youth products called up for AFCONQ
- L'Equipe indicates Super Eagles vice-captain is surplus to requirements at Nantes
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football