U17 AFCON: Five talking points from Golden Eaglets 2-1 loss to Burkina FasoPublished: May 11, 2023
Nigeria's U-17 national team on Thursday lost 2-1 to Burkina Faso in the quarterfinals of the CAF U-17 Africa Cup of Nations in Algeria and consequently failed to pick one of the four tickets to the FIFA U-17 World Cup later in the year.
The following are the five talking points from the loss to the Young Etalons.
1. Lost possession
The Golden were guilty of giving away the ball in critical moments of the game which led to rapid counter attacks from the Francophone West Africans.
Perhaps the grass had something to do with it as the boys slipped at some points albeit it could be argued that the Burkinabes also played on same turf.
2. Pressure on Burkina Faso
The Golden Eaglets had their great moments too and were able to make the opponents uncomfortable with their pressing game.
This was why the boys coached by Nduka Ugbade were able to get decent goal scoring chances.
3. Golden Eaglets lucky with the cards
Players of the Eaglets were guilty of committing fouls especially in the first half that could have landed some of their players in trouble.
Luckily (if that sounds like a good consolation) the players were not booked.
4. Tame efforts
The Golden Eaglets resorted to long range shots that did not trouble the Burkina Faso goalkeeper.
The build-up plays were beautiful and ought to have ended up as goals but the players' final decisions left much to be desired.
5. Players camaraderie
The Golden Eaglets players were behind each other in repelling the Young Etalons especially from the counter attacks.
The Nigerian players reduced the threat of the west African foes and also coped with the set pieces.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- Nigerian exports: Ighalo, Nwakaeme, Fatai roll back the years; youngsters Adewunmi, Adeola, Odutayo strike & more
- Awoniyi namechecks Iheanacho as he explains why Liverpool move didn't work out
- Arsenal v Tottenham combined XI: Udogie among three Spurs players in defence
- Kolo Muani replacement: Eintracht Frankfurt interested in signing Tottenham-linked striker Gift Orban
- Blow for Crystal Palace as 2021 Super Eagles invitee suffers injury setback
- Chelsea winger Madueke ready to face Aston Villa after first omission from gameday squad in 12 matches
- Boniface, Ogbu join West Ham and Brighton stars, 7 others in Europa League Team of the Week
- Bad news for Peseiro ahead of friendly v Saudi Arabia after latest update on Porto LB Sanusi
- Warning for Saka ahead of North London derby as Udogie is named Tottenham Hotspur's fastest player
- The reason Arsenal, Chelsea and Man Utd could not scout Club Brugge super kid Nusa in UECL fixture
- Football Betting
- Cakhia TV truc tiep
- Socolive TV truc tiep bong da
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football