Nigerian CB watches on from the bench as Arsenal's title dreams evaporate after loss to BrightonPublished: May 14, 2023
2019 Golden Eaglets invitee Odeluga Offiah was an unused substitute for Brighton & Hove on Sunday evening as they defeated Arsenal 3-0 at the Emirates stadium to enhance their European qualification hopes.
The versatile central defender has received five call-ups in the last six games played by the Seagulls in the Premier League, and made his debut off the bench against Nottingham Forest on April 26.
The 20-year-old Offiah has totaled four appearances for Brighton's first team including debuts in the Premier League, Carabao Cup and Emirates FA Cup.
Brighton had the better pass stats and ball possession but it was Arsenal that had the better chances early in the game.
Martin Odegaard received a pass on the edge of the box and took a shot but the ball went inches wide of the right post.
Julio Cesar Enciso had a glorious chance to open the scoresheet in the 37th minute after a low cross by Mitoma but the youngster skied his effort wide and off target.
Arsenal played much of the first half without the injured Gabriel Martinelli who was fouled by Moisés Caicedo.
Martinelli's 20th minute replacement, Leandro Trossard unleashed a shot that came off the crossbar moments after coming on.
Bukayo Saka's low shot was whiskers off target before the break, the second real chance the Gunners had in the first half to find a goal.
Arsenal however went behind in the 51st minute as Enciso headed into an empty net from close range albeit the goal was confrimed after a VAR review.
Second half substitute for the Gunners Reiss Nelson had the Arsenal fans up on their seats when he fizzed a 62nd minute low shot fr the edge of the box that agonizingly went off target.
Deniz Undav doubled the visitors' lead when he picked up a pass at the edge of the box and clipped the ball over a terribly exposed Ramsdale.
Pervis Estupinan made a win over Arsenal certain and their chances of lifting a Premier League title in 20 years dented when he fired the rebound inside the right post after the ball broke to him in the box.
It was Estupinan's first goal for Brighton.
Photo Credit: arsenal.com
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- Quick and direct winger signs new contract with Chelsea
- Nottingham Forest fullback joins Super Eagles walking wounded ahead of Saudi Arabia friendly
- A bridge too far: Boniface unsuccessful in attempt to match Helmes feat but helps Bayer set new record
- Put me on the bench: Akpom tells Ajax coach he's unhappy playing as a No. 10 or winger
- 'Wasn't even a foul' - Ex-Liverpool fullback claims Tottenham star Udogie didn't deserve to be booked
- 'If he leaves in 6 months he will regret' - Ex-Napoli striker criticises Osimhen for not celebrating his goals
- 'I don't follow history' - Southampton loanee Onuachu admits he had no idea he set a record
- Klopp questions red card shown to Jota for foul on Udogie; Tottenham defender should have been sent off too
- Players with the most flair in Chelsea squad: Chukwuemeka picks Madueke, two others
- 'You're playing against big players' - Tottenham left-back Udogie on his 1v1 duels with Saka and Salah
- Football Betting
- Cakhia TV truc tiep
- Socolive TV truc tiep bong da
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football