Ndidi in action for 62 minutes as Leicester slide closer to relegation with loss to LiverpoolPublished: May 15, 2023
Super Eagles midfielder Wilfred Ndidi was in action for 62 minutes in Leicester City's 0- 2 home defeat to Liverpool Monday night at the King Power stadium that adds to Leicester's relegation woes.
The game was Ndidi's 26th league appearance and 29th in all competitions in the current campaign for the 2015/2016 league champions.
Fellow Nigerian international Kelechi Iheanacho was missing from the matchday squad due to a groin injury.
Leicester seemed to be able to pose a problem early in the game for Liverpool when Jamie Vardy received a precise pass in the 13th minute and was given time inside the box to send a promising strike towards the middle of the goal. Alisson denied him with a fine save.
But the Reds raced ahead when Curtis Jones converted a killer cross with a precise low shot and the ball found the bottom right corner in the 33rd minute.
It meant Leicester have not kept a clean sheet in their last 21 Premier League games.
But there was more misery to come for the Foxes as Jones doubled the lead and his goals three minutes later.
Mohamed Salah released the young English midfielder in space on the edge of the box. He spotted the keeper off his line and coolly put the ball into the left side of the goal.
Ndidi lost possession of the ball near the penalty area moments after the second goal conceded by his team but luckily the ball was cleared out of danger.
With 62 minutes played, Leicester boss Dean Smith replaced Ndidi with Zambia international Patson Daka as well as the resourceful Harvey Barnes with Tete in a double substitution.
Trent Alexander-Arnold made victory certain for Liverpool with a 71st minute free kick as he curled the ball beyond the wall of defenders and into the top left corner.
Liverpool are now fifth in the standings with 65 points with a real possibility of finishing in the UEFA Champions League places.
Photo Credit : lcfc.com
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- Nigeria squad announcement: Man City-reared midfielder; Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal products called up
- La Liga club Valencia send message of support to exciting Tottenham defender Udogie after racist abuse
- Peseiro handed boost pre-Saudi Arabia as Fenerbahce defender returns to action
- Six games without scoring: Gent coach highlights Gift Orban's struggles in front of goal in recent weeks
- 'He's good but Osimhen is better' - Transfer insider urges Arsenal to prioritise signing of Nigerian over Toney
- Key stat shows dogged Tottenham left-back Udogie is the dirtiest player in the Premier League this season
- Iheanacho scores another penalty for table-topping Leicester; Montpellier's Adams at the double
- Super Eagles forwards Moses Simon, Terem Moffi crack Ligue 1 Team of the Month
- 'The love for the badge is unwavering'- Osimhen insists he's committed to Napoli amid Chelsea, Man Utd links
- Quick and direct winger signs new contract with Chelsea
- Football Betting
- Cakhia TV truc tiep
- Socolive TV truc tiep bong da
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football