Former Liverpool and Arsenal superstars tag Awoniyi's goal against Gunners 'fortunate' finishPublished: May 20, 2023
Former Premier League icons, Michael Owen and Ian Wright on Saturday evening weighed in on their thoughts after Super Eagles striker Taiwo Awoniyi scored the decisive goal that secured Premier League football for Nottingham Forest.
The Gunners needed to avoid a defeat while hoping that Manchester City lose to Chelsea in Sunday's clash but Awoniyi and his Forest teammates were inspired by the implications of a victory at the City Ground.
Awoniyi scored the only goal in a 1-0 win just 19 minutes into the game but the goal was described as 'fortunate' by those strikers who lit up the Premier League before Awoniyi.
Speaking on Premier League Productions, former Liverpool, Newcastle United and Manchester United star Owen has this to say about the goal.
"I actually think it's a very average ball. I think it should be played a little bit wider as that arrow shows but he actually played it narrow.
"That allowed Gabriel to get a boot on that," Owen, who is lead analyst for the Premier League Production, stated.
"As we saw from the previous shot, Gabriel actually kicked the ball into Awoniyi and it's ended up being quite a fortunate finish," the former England international stressed.
On his part, former Arsenal striker Ian Wright said tersely:
"To be honest, when you are in that kind of form that he is in (reference to Awoniyi) at the moment, you get that kind of luck.
"It's the kind of things that he's working on and he's got that bit of luck," Wright said ruefully.
Nottingham Forest have secured 37 points and their place in next season's Premier League campaign by virtue of the win against Arsenal.
Photo Credit: nottinghamforest.co.uk
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- Watch: 2023 Super Eagles invitee Gift Orban sent off for the first time in his pro career
- Sheffield Utd's Nigerian defender watches on from the bench as Newcastle make PL history
- 'Should have scored at least 25 goals' - Bayer star Boniface reacts after breaking 29yo Bundesliga record
- 'Ended up as the dominant player' - Tottenham coach has his say on duel between Udogie and Saka
- Super Eagles watch: Boniface matches Haaland's feat, Dessers nets winner for Rangers, Lookman back to form
- 'Just needs to calm down' - Pundit reckons Tottenham LB Udogie had a shaky first half performance v Arsenal
- 'Some even compare him to Napoli star Osimhen' - Danish media hails Arsenal U18 hat-trick hero Obi
- 'Imagine him alongside Caicedo' - Pundit wants Ugochukwu to partner Chelsea's history-making midfielder
- Tottenham legend Harry Kane puts Boniface in his place after historic display for Bayern Munich
- 'He is going to sign an important contract' - Fabrizio Romano on the future of Arsenal super kid Nwaneri
- Football Betting
- Cakhia TV truc tiep
- Socolive TV truc tiep bong da
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football