Fifa U20 World Cup: Five observations from Flying Eagles 2-0 win over ItalyPublished: May 24, 2023
The Flying Eagles, on Wednesday evening beat Group D rivals, Italy 2-0 in their second match of the 2023 FIFA U-20 World Cup in Argentina.
The team coached by Ladan Bosso had defeated Dominican Republic 2-1 in their first game on Sunday.
All Nigeria Soccer here presents the observations from the game.
1. Aniagboso's jitters
Despite having a clean sheet on Wednesday, there were nervous moments with Kingsley Aniagboso in goal for Nigeria.
Early in the first half, the keeper made a hasty clearance that was almost intercepted by an Italian player. He also conceded a cheap corner with about 20 minutes played.
His performance improved in the second half as was able to deal with the crosses better albeit he had some difficulty with direct shots which needed second attempts to save.
2. The physical threat of Nigeria
The Flying Eagles may not have played a pleasing game in the eyes of pundits, the team however used their dominance on the physical side to their advantage.
This greatly repealed the more technical Italians as the Nigerians won almost all the one-on-one duels.
3. Great build-up
The build-up play of the Flying Eagles was great to watch.
They were confident to evade the attention of the Italian forwards at the back and their speed down the flanks especially after the introduction of Haliru Sarki were frightening.
4. Great defending
The central defenders and the flank players worked well together.
The only blot in the brilliant performance of the defenders was a yellow card brandished towards Benjamin Fredrick who made a challenge on an Italian.
5. VAR and referee decisions
The openness of the match officials so far at the tournament has caught the eye.
The on-field decisions have been made very clear with the verdicts of the referees heard loudly.
Photo Credit: fifa.com
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- L'Equipe indicates Super Eagles vice-captain is surplus to requirements at Nantes
- Victor Boniface yet to start negotiations with any team amid Eintracht Frankfurt, Leipzig links
- 'Many lies were told' - Italian pundit claims Osimhen was not sincere about his Napoli future
- Brentford, Leicester stars named in Super Eagles expanded squad for 2023 AFCONQ
- Central defender of African descent returns to Chelsea
- Opposition watch: Canada include Arsenal, Chelsea, Man Utd stars in provisional WWC squad
- Super Eagles striker linked with departure from Southampton, drawing interest from 3 clubs
- Ujah, top agent, Cute Abiola to grace Awoniyi's sponsored 'Never Stop Dreaming Cup' final
- Official: Promising Nigerian midfielder signs new contract with Sparta Prague
- Former Watford scout urges Man Utd to sign Osimhen if Kane slips out of their hands
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football