Fifa U20 World Cup: Five observations from Flying Eagles 2-0 win over ItalyPublished: May 24, 2023
The Flying Eagles, on Wednesday evening beat Group D rivals, Italy 2-0 in their second match of the 2023 FIFA U-20 World Cup in Argentina.
The team coached by Ladan Bosso had defeated Dominican Republic 2-1 in their first game on Sunday.
All Nigeria Soccer here presents the observations from the game.
1. Aniagboso's jitters
Despite having a clean sheet on Wednesday, there were nervous moments with Kingsley Aniagboso in goal for Nigeria.
Early in the first half, the keeper made a hasty clearance that was almost intercepted by an Italian player. He also conceded a cheap corner with about 20 minutes played.
His performance improved in the second half as was able to deal with the crosses better albeit he had some difficulty with direct shots which needed second attempts to save.
2. The physical threat of Nigeria
The Flying Eagles may not have played a pleasing game in the eyes of pundits, the team however used their dominance on the physical side to their advantage.
This greatly repealed the more technical Italians as the Nigerians won almost all the one-on-one duels.
3. Great build-up
The build-up play of the Flying Eagles was great to watch.
They were confident to evade the attention of the Italian forwards at the back and their speed down the flanks especially after the introduction of Haliru Sarki were frightening.
4. Great defending
The central defenders and the flank players worked well together.
The only blot in the brilliant performance of the defenders was a yellow card brandished towards Benjamin Fredrick who made a challenge on an Italian.
5. VAR and referee decisions
The openness of the match officials so far at the tournament has caught the eye.
The on-field decisions have been made very clear with the verdicts of the referees heard loudly.
Photo Credit: fifa.com
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- Klopp questions red card shown to Jota for foul on Udogie; Tottenham defender should have been sent off too
- Players with the most flair in Chelsea squad: Chukwuemeka picks Madueke, two others
- 'You're playing against big players' - Tottenham left-back Udogie on his 1v1 duels with Saka and Salah
- History-maker: Southampton loanee Onuachu goes into the record book after third goal for Trabzonspor
- Napoli coach explains why Osimhen was not on penalty duty in win against Lecce
- 2023 Flying Eagles invitee receives first call-up for PL game as Crystal Palace beat Man Utd
- PL2: Shoretire scores as Manchester United bring an end to their winless run
- 'He looks exciting' - Tottenham manager Postecolgou on why Udogie was incorporated into starting XI
- Most expensive player in Bundesliga history: Okocha impressed with Kane's start to life at Bayern
- Arsenal insider suggests Nwaneri is injured after missing back-to-back PL2 games, Brentford clash
- Football Betting
- Cakhia TV truc tiep
- Socolive TV truc tiep bong da
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football