Iwobi draws similarity between Arsenal fighting to play UCL and Everton fighting for survivalPublished: May 26, 2023
Super Eagles midfielder Alex Iwobi has drawn a similarity between playing for Arsenal to get a UEFA Champions League spot and playing for Premier League survival at Everton.
Iwobi has been one of the best and most regular players in what has been a turbulent season for Everton and he will be hoping he can guide the club to safety.
Everton are at risk of losing their top-flight status for the first time in 72 years heading into the final game of the season.
The Toffees occupy the 17th position in the Premier League table with 33 points, two points adrift of a spot in the relegation zone.
A win against Bournemouth on Sunday will guarantee Sean Dyche's side a place in the Premier League next season regardless of results in other venues.
"You are fighting for something. At Arsenal, you were fighting to play in the Champions League or the Europa League final, just fighting for something," Iwobi said to Liverpool Echo.
"The same way now, we are fighting to stay in the Premier League. They are still big games.
"It’s different circumstances but you are still fighting. It’s not necessarily a different pressure, not for me.
"You go into every game and you want to win. If you win, you achieve something. If you won at Arsenal, it meant you would get into the Champions League. If we win this game, we stay in the Premier League."
The Hale End graduate has nine goals contributions in the Premier League this season, with 2 goals and seven assists which is the second-best in the Everton squad.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- Nigeria squad announcement: Arsenal, Man City, Spurs youth products called up for AFCONQ
- L'Equipe indicates Super Eagles vice-captain is surplus to requirements at Nantes
- Victor Boniface yet to start negotiations with any team amid Eintracht Frankfurt, Leipzig links
- 'Many lies were told' - Italian pundit claims Osimhen was not sincere about his Napoli future
- Brentford, Leicester stars named in Super Eagles expanded squad for 2023 AFCONQ
- Central defender of African descent returns to Chelsea
- Opposition watch: Canada include Arsenal, Chelsea, Man Utd stars in provisional WWC squad
- Super Eagles striker linked with departure from Southampton, drawing interest from 3 clubs
- Ujah, top agent, Cute Abiola to grace Awoniyi's sponsored 'Never Stop Dreaming Cup' final
- Official: Promising Nigerian midfielder signs new contract with Sparta Prague
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football