'We certainly do not fear them' - Flying Eagles coach vows to take the fight to bogey team BrazilPublished: May 26, 2023
Brazil and Nigeria will meet at the Estadio Unico Diego Maradona in La Plata on Saturday, and Flying Eagles boss Ladan Bosso is looking forward to the game, hoping for the national team's first victory against the South American giants in a FIFA U20 World Cp in its various guises.
Bosso has vowed that the Flying Eagles will work hard to sustain its winning mentality by taking the fight to Brazil in their final match of Group D
Nigeria have maximum points after two games at the 2023 FIFA U20 World Cup following wins against Dominican Republic and Italy, and will certainly top Group D with a win or draw against Brazil.
Bosso has expressed confidence that his charges can turn the table against the one team that has remained the Achilles heel of the seven-time African champions at the FIFA U20 World Cup.
"Yes, we acknowledge that Brazil has always been a hard nut to crack for our team at this level. We have lost a number of matches to them over the decades, but there is always a first time," Bosso said.
"We are riding on a wave of robust confidence and though we do not under-rate them, we certainly do not fear them.
"We have been able to fulfill our first objective for this championship: getting to the knockout stages.
"We will take it one match at a time from now onwards. We don't want to take it easy and lose against Brazil; that will not be good for our winning mentality."
Brazil defeated the Flying Eagles 3-0 in Nigeria's first participation at the FIFA U20 World Cup (then known as FIFA World Youth Championship) in Guadalajara, Mexico in 1983.
Two years later, the Brazilians ran out 2-0 winners over Nigeria in the semi-finals, and in 1987 in Chile, Brazil walloped the Flying Eagles 4-0 in their opening game and the Nigerians boys never recovered from the stunning defeat.
However, both teams battled to a scoreless draw in their opening match of Group F at the 2005 finals in The Netherlands.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- 'My parents are proud Nigerians' - Premier League's fastest player reveals he considered playing for Super Eagles
- 'Declan Rice, Grealish chose England over Ireland' - Pundit on the international future of Arsenal striker Obi-Martin
- 'We have Adeleye, Ojo, Sochima' - Peseiro's sidekick urges Super Eagles coach to give chances to invitees
- 'I had an opportunity to get a hat-trick' - Iwobi admits he wanted to stay on against Nottingham Forest
- Nigerian tactician Hassan Sulaiman leads Chelsea into fourth round of FA Youth Cup
- 'Martial is a waste of space' - Ex-Chelsea star urges Man Utd to sign Boniface when 25 percent stake is sold
- Flying Eagles-eligible player among young talents called up to train with Arsenal first team pre-Aston Villa
- To start or not to start against Liverpool? Crystal Palace manager to make late decision on Olise
- Pictured: Man Utd coach promotes two teenagers of Nigerian descent to first team training pre-Bournemouth
- Super Eagles GK crisis: Peseiro lands in South Africa to run the rule over Chippa United star
- Football Betting
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football