Video: Flying Eagles coach confirms to Brazilian media Bameyi is on the books of Yum Yum FCPublished: May 27, 2023
Flying Eagles coach Ladan Bosso was on media duties shortly after Nigeria suffered their first loss in four matches, losing 2-0 to South American champions Brazil in their final group game of the 2023 Fifa U20 World Cup.
Allnigeriasoccer.com understands that pre and post-match press conferences will not be held until the quarterfinals stage of the ongoing World Cup, but players and coaches are permitted to speak to the media in the mixed zone after games.
Off the pitch, one story that has attracted the attention of the foreign press has ended up being false, and it has to do with Flying Eagles captain Daniel Bameyi.
It was sensationally claimed that the versatile defender is registered in a club that does not exist in order to be able to play in the World Cup.
The Secretary General of FCT FA, Haruna Ilerika has confirmed that Yum Yum FC is an Abuja based football academy and a bona fide member of the body, and his statement has been backed up by a video posted on social media by Brazilian channel CazéTV.
Speaking to CazéTV's Yara Fantoni, Bosso stated: "The club is not in the National League, it's an academy, Yum Yum Academy in Abuja, it exists.
"It exists in Nigeria, that's the federal capital. He (Bameyi) has played for the main national team".
Bameyi felt comfortable playing at right-back in Nigeria's wins against Dominican Republic and Italy but struggled when he was shifted to central defence in a 2-0 loss to Brazil on Saturday evening.
The 17-year-old made his Super Eagles debut in an international friendly against Costa Rica in November 2022.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- Shoretire battles Garnacho, Fernandes, 6 others for Manchester United Goal of the Month
- Iwobi's brilliant effort against favourite PL opponents nominated for Fulham Goal of the Month
- Victor Boniface: Juventus target Bundesliga star as possible replacement for Arsenal-linked striker Vlahovic
- Two teenagers of Nigerian descent promoted to Arsenal first team training pre-Wolves
- Dessers struggling to make an impact: Ex-Scotland star insists Rangers must sign a striker in January
- Blow to the jaw: Arsenal-owned goalkeeper Okonkwo to be assessed ahead of Wrexham v Yeovil Town
- Official: Chelsea confirm two talented midfielders have signed new deals
- Nottingham Forest's Goal of the Month award : Aina's first-time finish against Aston Villa nominated
- 101 Gunners goalscorers at the Emirates: Iwobi scored same number of goals as Arsenal legend Henry
- Watch: Gift Orban among four contenders for UEFA Europa Conference League Goal of the Week
- Football Betting
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football