Three players of Nigerian descent help Sheffield Wednesday seal return to ChampionshipPublished: May 29, 2023
Sheffield Wednesday will be playing Championship football next season after securing promotion via the League One playoffs, beating Barnsley 1-0 at the National Stadium in London on Monday evening.
2014 Olympic Eagles' invitee Dominic Iorfa and Liverpool academy product Michael Ihiekwe were named in the starting lineup by Sheffield Wednesday manager Darren Moore with both playing the entirety of the game, while 2019 Flying Eagles invitee Fisayo Dele-Bashiru and Dennis Adeniran were on the bench.
Sheffield Wednesday were relegated from the Championship on the final day of the 2020-2021 season and they are now making a return to the division after two years.
The Owls showed patience as they had to wait until the third minute of stoppage time in extra-time before netting the winning goal, just as it seemed penalties would be required to decide the winner.
There was nothing to separate the two sides at halftime. Iorfa came close to opening the scoring but saw his effort saved in the ninth minute of the encounter at Wembley.
In the second half, Barnsley who had been reduced to ten men after Adam Phillips was sent off, nearly took the lead through Liam Kitching, whose header came off the post.
Ihiekwe looked destined to score a potential winner for Sheffield Wednesday, only for his header to be cleared off the line by Mads Andersen in the 92nd minute.
Moore shored up his midfield by replacing Barry Bannan with Fisayo Dele-Bashiru in the 116th minute.
Josh Windass headed home a dramatic winner in the 123rd minute to send the Owls into the Championship.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- Watch: 2023 Super Eagles invitee Gift Orban sent off for the first time in his pro career
- Sheffield Utd's Nigerian defender watches on from the bench as Newcastle make PL history
- 'Should have scored at least 25 goals' - Bayer star Boniface reacts after breaking 29yo Bundesliga record
- 'Ended up as the dominant player' - Tottenham coach has his say on duel between Udogie and Saka
- Super Eagles watch: Boniface matches Haaland's feat, Dessers nets winner for Rangers, Lookman back to form
- 'Just needs to calm down' - Pundit reckons Tottenham LB Udogie had a shaky first half performance v Arsenal
- 'Some even compare him to Napoli star Osimhen' - Danish media hails Arsenal U18 hat-trick hero Obi
- 'Imagine him alongside Caicedo' - Pundit wants Ugochukwu to partner Chelsea's history-making midfielder
- Tottenham legend Harry Kane puts Boniface in his place after historic display for Bayern Munich
- 'He is going to sign an important contract' - Fabrizio Romano on the future of Arsenal super kid Nwaneri
- Football Betting
- Cakhia TV truc tiep
- Socolive TV truc tiep bong da
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football