U20 WC Argentina v Nigeria: Match preview, what to expect, key players, kickoff time and venuePublished: May 30, 2023
The Flying Eagles of Nigeria will be squaring up with the Albicelestes of Argentina in the round of 16 of the FIFA U20 World Cup on Wednesday night.
Nigeria qualified for the round of 16 after finishing as one of the four best third-placed teams despite amassing 6 points in the group stage while Argentina picked all maximum points to top their group
The Flying Eagles have previously faced Los Cebollitas on one occasion in this competition which was the final of this competition in 2005 where they were beaten by a Lionel Messi-inspired side to the trophy.
Argentina will head into the game as the favorites being the host nation, in a better form and also the most successful nation in this competition with 6 titles
Despite losing to Brazil in their last game, Nigeria will not be pushovers. The Flying Eagles picked up 6 points which came as a surprise to many and that should send a warning signal to the Argentines.
What to Expect
This promises to be another enthralling encounter between two good sides.
The six-time world champions scored 10 goals and conceded just one in the group stage which shows their efficiency in front of goal and stinginess at the back.
Backed by the majority of the fans in the stadium, you expect the Argentines to set the tone for this encounter and take the game to Nigeria.
However, Argentina will be facing a sterner than they have ever faced in this competition.
Nigeria will provide more quality offensively and defensively than Uzbekistan, New Zealand and Guatemala, the teams Argentina faced in the group games.
It should be exciting but yet a close encounter
1. Daniel Daga (Nigeria): The Dakkada FC midfielder has been one of the standout performers for the Flying Eagles. Playing as a holding or defensive midfielder in front of the defence, he has caught the eye with his well reading of the game.
He will need to be at his best for Nigeria to stand a chance against Argentina
2. Jude Sunday: His return of one goal doesn't speak volume of how dangerous he has been in this competition. Cutting in from the right wing or left wing, the forward can create chances for his colleagues or shoot at goal on his own.
3. Luka Romero: The Lazio winger has been one of the standout players for the host country, scoring two goals and providing an assist in 3 games.
4. Alejo Veliz: The centre forward is one of the top scorers in the tournament with 3 goals despite starting just two games. Ladan Bosso's boys must make sure he is silenced to reduce the offensive prowess of the Argentines
Kickoff/Time and Venue
The match will take place at the Estadio San Juan del Bicentenario and is scheduled to kick off at 2200 hours Nigerian time.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- Nigeria squad announcement: Man City-reared midfielder; Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal products called up
- La Liga club Valencia send message of support to exciting Tottenham defender Udogie after racist abuse
- Peseiro handed boost pre-Saudi Arabia as Fenerbahce defender returns to action
- Six games without scoring: Gent coach highlights Gift Orban's struggles in front of goal in recent weeks
- 'He's good but Osimhen is better' - Transfer insider urges Arsenal to prioritise signing of Nigerian over Toney
- Key stat shows dogged Tottenham left-back Udogie is the dirtiest player in the Premier League this season
- Iheanacho scores another penalty for table-topping Leicester; Montpellier's Adams at the double
- Super Eagles forwards Moses Simon, Terem Moffi crack Ligue 1 Team of the Month
- 'The love for the badge is unwavering'- Osimhen insists he's committed to Napoli amid Chelsea, Man Utd links
- Quick and direct winger signs new contract with Chelsea
- Football Betting
- Cakhia TV truc tiep
- Socolive TV truc tiep bong da
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football