'I dedicate my goal to our new president Tinubu' - Flying Eagles winger Muhammad reacts to win v ArgentinaPublished: June 01, 2023
In a famous night at the Estadio San Juan del Bicentenario, Nigeria, against the odds, grabbed a 2-0 win over the host nation and six-time winners of the FIFA U20 World Cup, Argentina.
The Flying Eagles were at a disadvantage heading into the fixture as a flight delay meant they could only train on Tuesday afternoon, much to the dismay of the Nigeria Football Federation and coaching staff.
However, Ladan Bosso's game plan worked as the Flying Eagles managed to keep out the free-scoring Argentina side who were the ones asking the questions in the first half.
Just past the hour mark, Ibrahim Muhammad drew first blood in the round of 16 tie when he stretched beyond the attention of two defenders and slotted beyond the advancing goalkeeper into the net.
And in the first minute of stoppage time, super sub Haliru Sarki's late header secured a famous win for the Flying Eagles.
Speaking shortly after the game, Ibrahim Muhammad was delighted to open his goalscoring account at the World Cup and dedicated the win to Nigeria's brand new president, Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu.
"I feel so happy because this is my first goal in the World Cup so I am so happy," Muhammad told reporters
"No being tensed was not in my mind. We felt comfortable, me and my teammates had that confidence. Football is like that, it doesn't have to favor the host country.
"We dedicate this victory to ourselves and myself I dedicate my goal to our new president Asiwaju Bola Tinubu and I really appreciate my teammates for their efforts today."
Muhammad returned to the starting lineup against Argentina after he was a non-playing substitute in the defeat to Brazil.
The 19-year-old scored twice and set up one goal at the 2023 Africa U20 Cup of Nations.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- Watch: 2023 Super Eagles invitee Gift Orban sent off for the first time in his pro career
- Sheffield Utd's Nigerian defender watches on from the bench as Newcastle make PL history
- 'Should have scored at least 25 goals' - Bayer star Boniface reacts after breaking 29yo Bundesliga record
- 'Ended up as the dominant player' - Tottenham coach has his say on duel between Udogie and Saka
- Super Eagles watch: Boniface matches Haaland's feat, Dessers nets winner for Rangers, Lookman back to form
- 'Just needs to calm down' - Pundit reckons Tottenham LB Udogie had a shaky first half performance v Arsenal
- 'Some even compare him to Napoli star Osimhen' - Danish media hails Arsenal U18 hat-trick hero Obi
- 'Imagine him alongside Caicedo' - Pundit wants Ugochukwu to partner Chelsea's history-making midfielder
- Tottenham legend Harry Kane puts Boniface in his place after historic display for Bayern Munich
- 'He is going to sign an important contract' - Fabrizio Romano on the future of Arsenal super kid Nwaneri
- Football Betting
- Cakhia TV truc tiep
- Socolive TV truc tiep bong da
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football