'We're going to win the World Cup' - Flying Eagles CB Fredrick makes vow to NigeriansPublished: June 01, 2023
Speaking after Nigeria's 2-0 win over Argentina in the round of 16 of the FIFA U20 World Cup, central defender Benjamin Fredrick is confident about the national team's chances of winning the tournament for the first time in their history.
The Simoiben FC product was one of the heroes at the Estadio San Juan del Bicentenario on Wednesday night, putting in a magnificent display in the centre of defence against a free-scoring Argentina side that had mustered ten goals in three matches before the round of 16 clash.
This is the first time the Flying Eagles are getting to the quarterfinals of the World Cup since they did so in 2011 - a team that contained current Super Eagles stars Ahmed Musa and Kenneth Omeruo
Many pundits and fans did not see the Flying Eagles going far in Argentina after they failed to win the 2023 Africa Cup of Nations, but they pulled off another upset just as they did against Italy by stunning the most successful nation in the history of the FIFA U20 World Cup, Argentina.
"I feel good, the game was tough but we thank God for the win and we promise to do better, we promise to work hard in the next game to win and we promise Nigerians that we are going to win the World Cup by His grace," Fredrick told reporters.
"This is the first time that we are reaching this stage (since 2011) and we promise to do better.
"It's not easy for us here but we promise to work hard and when we work hard we will get the goals to win the tournament.
"I promise Nigerians we are going to win the tournament."
In the quarterfinals, the Flying Eagles will face the winner of the game between Ecuador and South Korea at the Estadio Único Madre de Ciudades, Santiago del Estero on June 4.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- Nigerian exports: Ighalo, Nwakaeme, Fatai roll back the years; youngsters Adewunmi, Adeola, Odutayo strike & more
- Awoniyi namechecks Iheanacho as he explains why Liverpool move didn't work out
- Arsenal v Tottenham combined XI: Udogie among three Spurs players in defence
- Kolo Muani replacement: Eintracht Frankfurt interested in signing Tottenham-linked striker Gift Orban
- Blow for Crystal Palace as 2021 Super Eagles invitee suffers injury setback
- Chelsea winger Madueke ready to face Aston Villa after first omission from gameday squad in 12 matches
- Boniface, Ogbu join West Ham and Brighton stars, 7 others in Europa League Team of the Week
- Bad news for Peseiro ahead of friendly v Saudi Arabia after latest update on Porto LB Sanusi
- Warning for Saka ahead of North London derby as Udogie is named Tottenham Hotspur's fastest player
- The reason Arsenal, Chelsea and Man Utd could not scout Club Brugge super kid Nusa in UECL fixture
- Football Betting
- Cakhia TV truc tiep
- Socolive TV truc tiep bong da
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football