Opinion: Would Man City be a good move for impressive Flying Eagles defender Fredrick?Published: June 01, 2023
Flying Eagles defender Benjamin Fredrick is reportedly attracting the attention of Premier League champions Manchester City following his impressive displays at the FIFA U-20 World Cup in Argentina.
The central defender also had a great U-20 Africa Cup of Nations in Egypt where he formed a good partnership with Daniel Bamayi and later Abel Ogwuche.
The supposed interest on Fredrick by Pep Guardiola’s side according to a social media post by Italian journalist, Fabrizio Romano, did not come as a surprise going by his wonderful performances.
The question is: if it's indeed true that the youngster is a subject of interest to the Citizens, how would he fit in at the club?
To start with, City are the English Premier League champions.
Would the young Frederick be a part of the first team on a consistent basis?
Guardiola has given his youngsters a few opportunities at Cup games or against supposedly weak oppositions in the topflight.
However, such chances are few and far in between.
The best idea for the Nigerian would be to sign for City and head out on a season-long loan deal, preferably to one of the club's owned by the City Football Group.
Another full-fledged Nigerian international, Kelechi Iheanacho had played under Guardiola with mixed feelings before his move to now relegated Leicester City.
Instructively, unlike the way it panned out for the trio of Kenneth Omeruo (Chelsea), Taiwo Awoniyi (Liverpool) and Kelechi Nwakali (Arsenal), the player's representatives will do well to insert in his contract an automatic recall back to the first team if he is able to play a certain number of games for his loan club.
That would give him some sense of assurance and also make him remain focused.
Furthermore, by the expiration of the loan stint, some of the first team Manchester City defenders would have left the club due to the end of their own contracts or factors like an aging backline.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- Peseiro handed boost pre-Saudi Arabia as Fenerbahce defender returns to action
- Six games without scoring: Gent coach highlights Gift Orban's struggles in front of goal in recent weeks
- 'He's good but Osimhen is better' - Transfer insider urges Arsenal to prioritise signing of Nigerian over Toney
- Key stat shows dogged Tottenham left-back Udogie is the dirtiest player in the Premier League this season
- Iheanacho scores another penalty for table-topping Leicester; Montpellier's Adams at the double
- Super Eagles forwards Moses Simon, Terem Moffi crack Ligue 1 Team of the Month
- 'The love for the badge is unwavering'- Osimhen insists he's committed to Napoli amid Chelsea, Man Utd links
- Quick and direct winger signs new contract with Chelsea
- Nottingham Forest fullback joins Super Eagles walking wounded ahead of Saudi Arabia friendly
- A bridge too far: Boniface unsuccessful in attempt to match Helmes feat but helps Bayer set new record
- Football Betting
- Cakhia TV truc tiep
- Socolive TV truc tiep bong da
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football