Ex-Udinese striker reveals the qualities Dessers would add to Rangers side if signed in the summerPublished: June 08, 2023
Former Udinese and Rangers striker Marco Negri has revealed the qualities that Cyriel Dessers would add to the Rangers side if the Cremonese frontman is acquired in the summer transfer window.
Dessers has been tipped for the exit door after Cremonese lost their top-flight status at the end of the recently concluded Serie A season, with Rangers currently the front runners for his signature.
Negri has highlighted that the Super Eagles player is a physical striker, offers versatility in attack, but stressed that he is not a prolific goalscorer.
Although the number 9 role is his most preferred position, Dessers can also play as a winger on both flanks and as a second striker.
Speaking to The Herald, Negri said: "Dessers is a strong guy. He is really, really physical. Cremonese were relegated to Serie B at the end of the season, but I thought he had a very good season for them.
"It was his first season in Serie A. But he certainly showed he can fight against a big defender. He always worked very hard for the team. On both sides of the game – on the offensive side and the defensive side – as well."
Since turning professional, Dessers has directly participated in 151 goals (111 goals, 40 assists) in 280 matches combined for FC Utrecht, Genk, Feyenoord Rotterdam, NAC Breda, KSC Lokeren, US Cremonese, Heracles Almelo and Oud-Heverlee Leuven.
Negri added: "He has areas of his game that he could improve. He is not a natural goalscorer and he did not score a lot of goals (he was on target seven times in all competitions) for Cremonese. For me, he has to try and increase the number of goals that he scores in a season. He is not an Ally McCoist type player who can score 30 goals a season.
"But he is certainly a fighter, a guy who can bring some energy to a team. He is physical, he can battle in one-v-one situations, he can hold the ball up, he can make clever runs for his team mates. He can definitely do a job up front.
"He can play in a two man front line or he can play as a lone striker with two players supporting him. You can play high balls up to him because he is strong with his head, you can play it to his feet because he can hold the ball. I think he would be a good signing for Rangers.”
Dessers became Cremonese's most expensive acquisition in history after joining them last summer for a fee of 6.5 million euros.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- Watch: 2023 Super Eagles invitee Gift Orban sent off for the first time in his pro career
- Sheffield Utd's Nigerian defender watches on from the bench as Newcastle make PL history
- 'Should have scored at least 25 goals' - Bayer star Boniface reacts after breaking 29yo Bundesliga record
- 'Ended up as the dominant player' - Tottenham coach has his say on duel between Udogie and Saka
- Super Eagles watch: Boniface matches Haaland's feat, Dessers nets winner for Rangers, Lookman back to form
- 'Just needs to calm down' - Pundit reckons Tottenham LB Udogie had a shaky first half performance v Arsenal
- 'Some even compare him to Napoli star Osimhen' - Danish media hails Arsenal U18 hat-trick hero Obi
- 'Imagine him alongside Caicedo' - Pundit wants Ugochukwu to partner Chelsea's history-making midfielder
- Tottenham legend Harry Kane puts Boniface in his place after historic display for Bayern Munich
- 'He is going to sign an important contract' - Fabrizio Romano on the future of Arsenal super kid Nwaneri
- Football Betting
- Cakhia TV truc tiep
- Socolive TV truc tiep bong da
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football