Nigeria squad announcement: Arsenal, Man City, Spurs youth products called up for AFCONQPublished: June 09, 2023
Arsenal youth product, Alex Iwobi, Manchester City academy graduate Kelechi Iheanacho and former Tottenham Hotspur youth teammer, William Troost Ekong have been invited by Coach José Peseiro for the Super Eagles of Nigeria 2023 Africa Cup of Nations qualifiers against Leone stars of Sierra Leone.
As published on the Nigerian Football Federation website, the trio join 20 other players that were called up by the Portuguese football tactician.
There is a return for Israeli-based goalkeeper, Adebayo Adeleye and Nottingham Forest striker, Taiwo Awoniyi.
The biggest omissions were Omonia Nicosia goalkeeper, Francis Uzoho (suspension), Southampton forward Paul Onuachu and Nice star Terem Moffi all of whom participated in the last qualifying games.
Rivers United goalkeeper Victor Sochima, Enyimba's Olorunleke Ojo and Bendel Insurance midfielder Divine Nwachukwu are the three home based players invited.
Nigeria and Sierra Leone will clash at the Samuel Kanyon Doe Stadium in Monrovia in Liberia on Sunday, 18 June, as the Confederation of African Football did not deem any stadium in Sierra Leone good enough to host the encounter.
Nigeria lead the group with 9 points after four round of games played and a win against the Leone stars will seal their spot for the Africa Cup of Nations which will be staged next year in Ivory Coast.
Super Eagles' 23-man squad v Sierra Leone
Goalkeepers: Adebayo Adeleye (Hapoel Jerusalem, Israel); Victor Sochima (Rivers United); Olorunleke Ojo (Enyimba FC)
Defenders: William Ekong (Watford FC, England); Calvin Bassey (Ajax FC, The Netherlands); Kevin Akpoguma (TSG Hoffenheim, Germany); Chidiebube Duru (Rivers United); Oluwasemilogo Ajayi (West Bromwich Albion, England); Kenneth Omeruo (CD Leganes, Spain); Zaidu Sanusi (FC Porto, Portugal); Bright Osayi-Samuel (Fenerbahce FC, Turkey)
Midfielders: Joseph Ayodele-Aribo (Southampton FC, England); Alex Iwobi (Everton FC, England); Divine Nwachukwu (Bendel Insurance); Wilfred Ndidi (Leicester City, England); Frank Onyeka (Brentford FC, England)
Forwards: Moses Simon (Nantes FC, France); Samuel Chukwueze (Villarreal FC, Spain); Ademola Lookman (Atalanta FC, Italy); Victor Osimhen (SSC Napoli, Italy); Taiwo Awoniyi (Nottingham Forest, England); Kelechi Iheanacho (Leicester City, England); Ahmed Musa (Sivasspor K, Turkey)
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- Watch: 2023 Super Eagles invitee Gift Orban sent off for the first time in his pro career
- Sheffield Utd's Nigerian defender watches on from the bench as Newcastle make PL history
- 'Should have scored at least 25 goals' - Bayer star Boniface reacts after breaking 29yo Bundesliga record
- 'Ended up as the dominant player' - Tottenham coach has his say on duel between Udogie and Saka
- Super Eagles watch: Boniface matches Haaland's feat, Dessers nets winner for Rangers, Lookman back to form
- 'Just needs to calm down' - Pundit reckons Tottenham LB Udogie had a shaky first half performance v Arsenal
- 'Some even compare him to Napoli star Osimhen' - Danish media hails Arsenal U18 hat-trick hero Obi
- 'Imagine him alongside Caicedo' - Pundit wants Ugochukwu to partner Chelsea's history-making midfielder
- Tottenham legend Harry Kane puts Boniface in his place after historic display for Bayern Munich
- 'He is going to sign an important contract' - Fabrizio Romano on the future of Arsenal super kid Nwaneri
- Football Betting
- Cakhia TV truc tiep
- Socolive TV truc tiep bong da
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football