Done deal: Southampton confirm signing of Nigerian RB after departure from ChelseaPublished: July 05, 2023
With a statement on their official website, Championship club Southampton have confirmed the signing of German-born Nigerian right-back Derrick Abu following his departure from Chelsea.
Abu joins Southampton on a free transfer having become a free agent on the 30th of June, 2023 and has signed a two-year contract with the club.
He will initially start his Saints career with the development squad being coached by Dave Horseman for the 2023/2024 season
Southampton didn't get the signature of the German-Nigerian without a fight from other clubs as Premier League duo Brighton & Hove and Crystal Palace were also interested in his services.
The 19-year-old spent nine years at Chelsea as he initially joined the U11s before rising through the ranks to feature for their U18s, making 24 appearances in the U18 Premier League.
The versatile young defender was part of the young Blues' side that lifted the Premier League U16 International Tournament in 2019, and that earned him a call-up to the England Under-17s in 2020.
He broke into the London club's development side last season and made eight appearances in the Premier League 2, one appearance in the UEFA Youth League and played two games in the Papa Johns Trophy.
Abu will now be hoping he can impress with the Saints' development side and eventually get a chance to play for the first team.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- Peseiro's pre-match wish on Lookman comes true: Atalanta striker fires brace in 3-2 win against AC Milan
- FA Youth Cup: Nwaneri scores five goals to inspire Arsenal to 7-1 win against Crewe Alexandra
- Super Eagles watch: Ninth goal involvement for Ndidi; Dessers powerful strike; Ejuke gets his groove back
- 'It looks very nasty' - Michael Owen insists Onyeka was lucky to escape red card against Sheffield United
- 'My parents are proud Nigerians' - Premier League's fastest player reveals he considered playing for Super Eagles
- 'Declan Rice, Grealish chose England over Ireland' - Pundit on the international future of Arsenal striker Obi-Martin
- 'We have Adeleye, Ojo, Sochima' - Peseiro's sidekick urges Super Eagles coach to give chances to invitees
- 'I had an opportunity to get a hat-trick' - Iwobi admits he wanted to stay on against Nottingham Forest
- Nigerian tactician Hassan Sulaiman leads Chelsea into fourth round of FA Youth Cup
- 'Martial is a waste of space' - Ex-Chelsea star urges Man Utd to sign Boniface when 25 percent stake is sold
- Football Betting
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football