Official: Super Eagles forward is Rangers' sixth summer signingPublished: July 06, 2023
With a statement on their official website, Scottish Premiership giants Glasgow Rangers have confirmed the signing of Nigeria international Cyriel Dessers, subject to international clearance.
The Belgian-born Nigeria international becomes Rangers' sixth signing this summer, after Jack Butland, Kieran Dowell, Sam Lammers, Dujon Sterling and Abdallah Sima.
Dessers ended his association with Serie B club Cremonese after signing a four-year contract with the Light Blues that keeps him at Ibrox until at least the end of the 2026-2027 season.
Although the transfer fee has not been disclosed, it has been widely reported that Cremonese will receive a guaranteed fee of five million euros plus 1.5 million euros in performance-related add-ons.
In the past, Dessers played for OH Leuven, Lokeren, NAC Breda, FC Utrecht, Heracles Almelo, Racing Genk and Feyenoord.
With Racing Genk, he won the Belgian Cup and was top scorer in the inaugural edition of the UEFA Europa Conference League and Dutch Eredivisie with Feyenoord and Heracles Almelo respectively.
In his first words as a Rangers player, Dessers said: "I am really happy, it is a big relief to finally be here.
"There have been some long days and some stressful days, but it is a great feeling to finally be here.
"The history of the club, the fans, the stadium, it's massive but next to that I look at what is here at this moment.
"I had really good talks with Michael Beale about his plans, the ideas of what he wants on and off the pitch and I thought that could be a really good fit for me and for the team so I am happy to be here."
Dessers has played four times for the Super Eagles, scoring one goal which came in a friendly against Mexico in May 2022.
Photo Credit: rangers.co.uk
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- Shoretire battles Garnacho, Fernandes, 6 others for Manchester United Goal of the Month
- Iwobi's brilliant effort against favourite PL opponents nominated for Fulham Goal of the Month
- Victor Boniface: Juventus target Bundesliga star as possible replacement for Arsenal-linked striker Vlahovic
- Two teenagers of Nigerian descent promoted to Arsenal first team training pre-Wolves
- Dessers struggling to make an impact: Ex-Scotland star insists Rangers must sign a striker in January
- Blow to the jaw: Arsenal-owned goalkeeper Okonkwo to be assessed ahead of Wrexham v Yeovil Town
- Official: Chelsea confirm two talented midfielders have signed new deals
- Nottingham Forest's Goal of the Month award : Aina's first-time finish against Aston Villa nominated
- 101 Gunners goalscorers at the Emirates: Iwobi scored same number of goals as Arsenal legend Henry
- Watch: Gift Orban among four contenders for UEFA Europa Conference League Goal of the Week
- Football Betting
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football