'Wise signing' - Rangers hero believes Balogun's capture will prove to be brilliant addition to squadPublished: July 14, 2023
Rangers hero Barry Ferguson believes that the capturing of Leon Balogun by Rangers will prove to be a good addition to the squad.
Balogun was confirmed as the Rangers' seventh signing of the summer on Wednesday and has penned a one-year deal with the club.
The Scottish powerhouse will be without young centre-back Leon King for a lengthy period after he suffered an injury during the club's pre-season camp and that informed the decision to sign the experienced Nigerian player.
This will be the second stint of the experienced defender at Ibrox having previously represented the Light Blues for two years between 2020 and 2022.
Ferguson hailed his former club's decision to bring the Super Eagles defender back to the club
"I think it is a wise signing. After Leon King was ruled out for a number of months through injury, I think Rangers have acted very quickly. It shows they have a different mindset now bringing Leon Balogun in," Ferguson told Go Radio via Glasgow Live.
"His experience, he's a good defender and a real physical presence. He's not going to play every single game. He's not coming in as the number one centre-back but I tell you what, in my eyes he's a brilliant back-up.
"You don't want to go through the same problems as last year like bringing in young Leon - which was brilliant for his career - or playing [James] Sands at centre-back, [John] Lundsram.
"If there is injuries or suspensions you now have five centre-backs. You've got Connor Goldson, [Ben] Davies, John Souttar, [Dujon] Sterling and now Balogun. If there is one or two injuries you've got real good back-ups there"
It is also the hope of the Scottish giants manager Michael Beale that the German-born defender will bring his experience to the squad which is another reason that birthed his signature.
With age not on his side, Balogun will have an uphill task breaking into the first team due to the availability of younger and more energetic defenders at the disposal of Beale.
Photo Credit: rangers.co.uk
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- Peseiro's pre-match wish on Lookman comes true: Atalanta striker fires brace in 3-2 win against AC Milan
- FA Youth Cup: Nwaneri scores five goals to inspire Arsenal to 7-1 win against Crewe Alexandra
- Super Eagles watch: Ninth goal involvement for Ndidi; Dessers powerful strike; Ejuke gets his groove back
- 'It looks very nasty' - Michael Owen insists Onyeka was lucky to escape red card against Sheffield United
- 'My parents are proud Nigerians' - Premier League's fastest player reveals he considered playing for Super Eagles
- 'Declan Rice, Grealish chose England over Ireland' - Pundit on the international future of Arsenal striker Obi-Martin
- 'We have Adeleye, Ojo, Sochima' - Peseiro's sidekick urges Super Eagles coach to give chances to invitees
- 'I had an opportunity to get a hat-trick' - Iwobi admits he wanted to stay on against Nottingham Forest
- Nigerian tactician Hassan Sulaiman leads Chelsea into fourth round of FA Youth Cup
- 'Martial is a waste of space' - Ex-Chelsea star urges Man Utd to sign Boniface when 25 percent stake is sold
- Football Betting
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football